Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VERY OT: Aluminum Boat Cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
An avid fisherman friend & work buddy has a 20' North River Aluminum boat that needs the oxidation & crud removed so it's bright & shiney again. He's tried a cleaner that's high in various acids & all it does is streak it.
Anyone know of a great product for aluminum boat bottoms??

.........b
boxstr
Bruce Call Stevens Marine, they are the distributor for Alumaweld boats, they have a product but I can't remember what it is. Must be old age.
CCLINFISHON
Joe Ricard
Here is something to contemplate. Don't clean it. Seriously, say your hul is 1/8" thick new. The oxidation is what? aluminum oxide.... which comes from the hull. When the hull completely oxidizes it won't go any further. if you polish all the oxidation off the hull will quickly start the oxidation process again. Every time you do this the hull get THINNER. Leave it alone and the hull will last longer than you. Polish it and you wiil be riding in a beer car in a few years.
Rhodes71/914
It's Aluminum, Pressure wash the crap off and be done with it. I know when I was commercial fishing that some people used to paint the bottom of thier aluminum boats, could never figure out why. One of the reasons to have an aluminum boat is low maintenance. There are some products out there that will make it shine, can't remember though, never bothered.
GWN7
If it's a bare metal boat, you can use phosphoric acid. Dilute it with water to the right strengh. Test on small areas first. Spray it on and rinse the oxide and alage off.

You can protect the hull afterwards by coating with wax or best once you get it all nice and shinny, paint it with epoxy paint.

www.sharkhide.com sells a "Branded' form of the acid 618-624-4091 guy to talk to is/was Clint Bland
MarkG
This WEB page can get you into contact with someone who knoes all about cleaning aluminum boats.....

http://www.geragos.com/our_attorneys-mark_...k_j_geragos.php
Bruce Allert
Mark, I went to that site & it's a lawyer.... no mention of boats confused24.gif

.....b
SLITS
A/C Wholesales will sell a line of "coil cleaners". Aluminum cleaners are phosphoric acid, sometimes with a Hydroflouric Acid "kicker" and wetting agents/soaps.
J P Stein
Craig:
Nice of you to push some more money towards Paige Stevens....he prolly needs for some supercar he ain't got yet. biggrin.gif
Lessee :
Enzo....check
Carrera GT....check
Killer 914....check
Killer 9eleben....check
Bruce Allert
did Craig sell him all those idea.gif

laugh.gif chairfall.gif

....b cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.