Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another welder thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
As per your recommendations I picked up a millermatic 140 with auto set on my local Craigslist . I got a decent deal . Slightly used according to seller.

Now comes the questions.

I watched some you tune videos and I think that I am ready to start playing with the flux core wire.

What I don't understand is how to transition to gas. I already habe the tank less fittings and gauge.Do I use the same wire, any any internal setting when switching from one to the other or do I just plug the tank? Set it lower than 30 and start welding . Please educate me .

914itis
QUOTE(Scotti @ Dec 25 2012, 09:41 AM) *

Don't use the flux core wire. You'll need a bottle of shielding gas. a regulator and hose. You connect the rubber hose to the back of the welder, turn the machine on and pull the trigger to set the regulator pressure.

Buy a roll of .023 at home depot or lowes I think they sell lincoln wire 7S? . You also need the .023 tips.

Get some scrap and practice practice practice

Merry Xmas Scott,

So they sell the hose and regulator at Home Depot or sears?
Spoke
QUOTE(Scotti @ Dec 25 2012, 09:41 AM) *

Don't use the flux core wire. You'll need a bottle of shielding gas. a regulator and hose. You connect the rubber hose to the back of the welder, turn the machine on and pull the trigger to set the regulator pressure.

Buy a roll of .023 at home depot or lowes I think they sell lincoln wire 7S? . You also need the .023 tips.

Get some scrap and practice practice practice

agree.gif

About the regulator, you can get that and the gas at any gas supplier like AirGas or Air Products local to you.

Don't use the flux core wire. Gas is much much better. You made the initial investment in a nice welder. Finish up your good investment with a bottle of gas and regulator and have fun.

I have the same welder as you do. I learned the same way: practice practice practice.
914itis
This is the wire that is currently in there. What can I do with it? Is this flux?

Click to view attachment
two-strokejohn
The mig wire you have is ok if it doesn't have a coating on the wire. It will appear as a white powder . You may need a new insert liner for your mig gun hose. The liner must be set up for the size wire you use and the transfer of shielding gas to the tip. If you are using an adapter kit ..... it should be set up for this. Remember when you use different size wire, you need to have the correct size tip in the gun to match the wire size. If you go to google and search your welder, you should be able to find an instruction and set up manual..... very useful info. You may be able to get info at the Miller site too.
Mike Bellis
Flux core wire burns really hot. That is why it is not good for sheetmetal. It is good for thick steel to give good penetration. Usually you need to change the polarity when switching from flux to solid. You should have a printed guide on the flip up door of your welder. This will give you the info you need. Mostly comes down to practice.

I can weld most stuff on the 914 with .030 wire and gas. .023 wire will be better for sheetmetal repair. I keep the flux core handy for bigger work but I prefer solid wire and gas.
mskala
Aren't there different darkness levels available for helmets? How do you know what is the proper level?
scotty b
the wire you have is NOT flux core. It is solid, which is what you need. If the welder is already setup for that wire and the P.O. wasn't running gas, his welds looked like absolute poo. .030 is o.k. for doing light sheet, but .023 is best. IMHO stick with the .030 you already have until you feel comfortable with welding. No need to burn up new wire to learn.

Helmet shields are simnply what you fell best with. I keep mine set low as I don't like it too dark, but on the rare occasion I do any stick welding I'll crank it up as it prodiuces a lot brighter and more constant flash.
scotty b
QUOTE(two-strokejohn @ Dec 25 2012, 08:12 AM) *

The mig wire you have is ok if it doesn't have a coating on the wire. It will appear as a white powder .

Flux core wire is not a white coating on the wire. It is as it's name indicates. It is a hollow wire, the core of which is the flux. You can look at the end of it and tell, or simply bend it in half. Solid wire will make that bend. Flux core will crack in two when trying to bend. Stick welding has the flux on the outside and the steel as the center
bulitt
The 140 should come with the gas hook up.
The regulator with gauge on it, the hose to the back of the machine.
Scotty is right, your wire is solid for gas.
Unplug the unit.
You need to get a bottle of gas
Hook it to the regulator on the back
If you want to run smaller wire (023-024) then-
You will need a smaller tip for the smaller wire.
You need to remove the wire feed roller and flip it around so the smaller groove can feed the smaller wire. (at least on my Lincoln)
Then feed the smaller wire through the feed roller into the gun hose.

I would suggest you go onto the Miller site and download the manuals and look at the videos. They also have a resource link to show "how to" videos.
The conversion is not difficult, I'm sure the manual will have pictures.
914itis
I got it from Craig list, the regulator was missing but I got a tank. The wire that I have is not flux, so I am assuming that it was already set for gas. A small portion of the wire was used. Do I need a miller regulator or any gas regulator?
76-914
any welding supply will have that reg set up, congrats on a good tool.
914itis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 25 2012, 07:25 PM) *

Thanks .
Gint
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 25 2012, 05:25 PM) *

agree.gif And you can get a bottle of gas while you're there.
a914622
Take the bottle in with you to a weld supply shop and find out if its a rental or owner bottle.

The older the miller the better. I learned on a miller years ago in a production sheet metal shop. When i went to buy a welder the miller was mostly if not all made in china. Noware as smooth as the older stuff. I bought a Lincon after test driving both side by side.

Dont get the little "frog" regulater! they waist gas and suck. Spend the coin on a good one.

Dont run flux core on the little machines. no need no advantage.

And have fun, you know when your welds are right by the sound of the arc.

jcl
bulitt
Miller 140 Link
BKLA
when you get your gauges and have the bottle checked, ask about setting up the gas flow rate as well as the startup and shut down procedures on the shielding gas. The guys at my local Air Gas store are always very helpful, and your shop may help set up your bottle so that your regulators have a nice long life.
BKLA
oops... damn iPhone double post!
scotty b
set the gauge at 12-15 psi and make sure when you pull the trigger you have minimum 10-12 at the gauge. If you have a slight breeze, you will need to crank the pressure up a bit, but should never need to go over 20. If you do, there is another issue, most likely too much airflowing around you.
914itis
I picked ip a regulator at harbor freight, I did a few minutes of practice today and all went well. I tried different gauges of steel and noticed it's all about wire speed and temperature settings I actually was able to weld something that can't come apart. aktion035.gif

Thanks all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.