Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD THREAD: Time to get the Berber Yellow 75 914 2.0 back in running condition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carguy914
Hi Guys
I'm fairly new to the 914 World Forum but not new to Teeners...first introduced in 72...,a SCCA EP 914 in the late 70's (a 70 model), repaired and refurbished several for friends from time to time, and have owned 6 different 914's throughout the years, along with some tail draggers, 951's and a Boxster (girls car) I'll go ahead and say it!! But I'm a Porsche guy to say the least.

Which brings me to 914 #6 and the reason for this new thread....it's time to get my latest project on the road. A little background on this little jewel...spent it's life in and around the Bloomington, Ca area until the PO, who was working on it at the time, while driving his 75 911S passed away....that was some 12 yrs or so ago. His sister in South Fl inherited the cars and had them shipped across the country, stashed the 914 in the garage (under 2 covers and some big foam pads) in it's slightly disassembled condition (mostly interior...dash area) and drove the heck out of the 911 for the next 8+ yrs until she got sick, sold the 911 and later passed away as well....enter her daughter and a very vague Craiglist Ad in Oct. of 2011 and now it's mine!!!

Here's the day I uncovered it, loaded it on my trailer and headed to South Carolina

Click to view attachment

I first started cleaning on this mostly original, one very nice quality respray, car and have found it to have very little rust....which was what I was looking for...a good chassis!

Pulled the drive train

Click to view attachment

A little dirty, but all there, so it's off to AutoMetrics Motorsports for cleaning, leak down test and resealing, along with all new hoses and some fresh powdercoat on the tins.....pictures to follow

I'll keep the pictures coming

--Roger
carguy914
Some new pictures....just been disassembling for cleaning...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

More to come

--Roger
wingnut86
Good pick Roger!

I have some Lambo Yellow tins over in powder coat, might be selling, let me know.

Dave santa_smiley.gif
carguy914
Thanks Dave,

I've been looking at your 76 Subie build....noticed that you pickup a few parts from time to time. I've found a lot of good parts on here already and some really good guys as well. What part of SC are you located?
billh1963
QUOTE(carguy914 @ Dec 25 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Thanks Dave,

I've been looking at your 76 Subie build....noticed that you pickup a few parts from time to time. I've found a lot of good parts on here already and some really good guys as well. What part of SC are you located?

Dave is in Lexington. Be warned that I have bought a lot of parts from Dave and he sells them too cheap biggrin.gif
carguy914
I've been warned beerchug.gif Hey Great to see SC has a following on the World

I've found some great deals for the parts that were missing, probably left behind when my car was shipped to the right coast yrs ago, from some very helpful members over the last several months.

Was mostly missing steering column and dash area pieces....and the under dash AC unit, which I'm sure was left laying in a garage in Cali 12 yrs ago

How many more SC members out there??
Gint
Looks like a decent 914. Good luck! Post more pics. laugh.gif
carguy914
Been having a little problem posting pictures....I think I solved the problem, let's see?

Stable Mates

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah!

So the garage is a little tight....the Ghia has to move out to allow work space when working on the 914

Man I need a bigger garage!!
carguy914
Just been disassembling it for cleaning and refurbishing....cleans up pretty good!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The interior is the weakest part...rubber and textiles dried out pretty good...
Door panels cut for speakers

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wingnut86
Bill has a couple of "running" rides chair.gif

Maybe he and I can take one of those cars, maybe the taildragger, and come your way one weekend for morale support beerchug.gif

carguy914
It looks pretty good in here!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Going to Autometrics Motorsports for steam cleaning as soon as I get the SC Koni front struts back from powdercoat and install the 5 lug conversion....sold the Riveria's a little too soon...oops!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

More to come....
carguy914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Dec 25 2012, 09:08 PM) *

Bill has a couple of "running" rides chair.gif

Maybe he and I can take one of those cars, maybe the taildragger, and come your way one weekend for morale support beerchug.gif

That would be Great! We should try to get together, I'm hoping to have this one running late Jan. to mid Feb. driving.gif
carguy914
Here's the one that started this madness back in 72

Silver/blk 3 options = Met. paint, AM/FM radio and tinted glass $4267.00 out the door

Click to view attachment

That's my brother.

That was a couple of years ago!!

Here's his latest Porsche...a taildragger guy, but he can't wait to get this 914 running and get behind the wheel driving.gif

Click to view attachment
billh1963
The car looks really nice. Even then bumpers look to be in great shape!
carguy914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 27 2012, 07:07 AM) *

The car looks really nice. Even then bumpers look to be in great shape!

Bill the front bumper cover is in great condition, the rear cover is not as nice, the car has a Monza exhaust and the 4 tips turn up kinda oddly(may be bent) and I think exhaust heat has caused the rubber to be compromised.

I am looking into back dating bumpers and using fiberglass 914-6 GT replicas.

Any suggestion on who offers the best 914-6 GT bumpers?

My long term goal for the car is a steel flared 914-6 GT look with a 2.4L 6, I have sourced a good 72 2.4 with mechanical injection just haven't made the purchase yet....first things first, a good running 2.0 4cyl.
carguy914
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 25 2012, 08:06 PM) *

Looks like a decent 914. Good luck! Post more pics. laugh.gif

Thanks Mike

I'll keep them coming.....time to get it running!!
JawjaPorsche
Nice looking teener! beerchug.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(carguy914 @ Dec 25 2012, 08:57 PM) *

Just been disassembling it for cleaning and refurbishing....cleans up pretty good!

The interior is the weakest part...rubber and textiles dried out pretty good...
Door panels cut for speakers

Nice plaid seats! I want a set of those! smile.gif
rfuerst911sc
Another Berber Yellow I love it good choice ! I also have a 1975 which I converted to a 3.0 with GT flares. Looks like you got a clean one good luck with the project.

carguy914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 27 2012, 10:03 PM) *

Nice looking teener! beerchug.gif

Thanks,

You have a great looking car....nice to see original owner cars

I bought a 76 new, it was white with blue plaid seats and I wish I would have kept that one.
carguy914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 29 2012, 05:29 AM) *

Another Berber Yellow I love it good choice ! I also have a 1975 which I converted to a 3.0 with GT flares. Looks like you got a clean one good luck with the project.

Nice! That's the look I have in mind for this one.

Are your flares steel or glass?
carguy914
Sorting through my parts supply getting ready to install the suspension and brake upgrades....

Here are the rear control arms nicely powdercoated with 5 lug hubs, new bearings and bushings installed, compliments of Bruce (bdstone914 on the world)

Thanks Bruce...Great parts!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I plan to run the 15x6 Cookie Cutters, that you can see setting under the car, with 205/60-15's for now until I do phase II and install the flares.

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carguy914 @ Dec 29 2012, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 29 2012, 05:29 AM) *

Nice! That's the look I have in mind for this one.

Are your flares steel or glass?

The flares are metal, they were purchased on a group buy from AA. Installed them myself then had a friend do the body work/respray.
carguy914
Stopped in Autometrics Motorsports to check on motor progress...

They are busy prepping Cup car for the Rolex test and Boxster for Continental Tire series test @ Daytona

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The tins and SC Koni struts are back from powdercoat....a little more orange than I expected (sample chip was off a bit)....we were going for Koni red/orange but they look good anyway

Motor coming along...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now I can get the 5 lug conversion parts on and take the body over to steam clean the engine compartment and underside of the car..

Can't wait to driving.gif
billh1963
You building a Clemson tribute car? barf.gif

happy11.gif
carguy914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 31 2012, 07:50 PM) *

You building a Clemson tribute car? barf.gif

happy11.gif

Oh Crap!!! hadn't thought about that!!! Better break out the rattle cans beerchug.gif
carguy914
Well I had some family situations come up over the last month which put a hold on my project sad.gif , so instead of having sit for an undetermined amount of time, I passed this project along to (isintampa) a new member on the world welcome.png who was looking for just this type of project type.gif

I know it is in good hands beerchug.gif and I'll be watching it's progress popcorn[1].gif

And...maybe get it back one day smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.