Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early and Late Console Clock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914Sixer
I thought I would add some pictures of the difference in the gauges. The early non quartz clock is the 1st one I have ever seen in 25+ years. It is based on the 911 clock of the time period. It has the white plastic back and the later one is encased. The second later clock is the one we are used to.
bembry
I was under the impression that they switched from the electro-mechanical Kienzle to the Quartz-zeit between 73 and 74 MY.
Tom_T
Yes Brent, they 73 like ours was the only year 914 which had Kienzle clocks.

More good clocks info here too...

http://p914.com/p914_gauges_clock.htm

General Gauges info here...

http://p914.com/p914_gauges.htm

This p914.com site has some really well researched & presented info on O&H topics relative to our 914s, with all illustrated by photos....

http://p914.com/p914_home.htm
dlkawashima
Thanks Tom for those links. I didn't realize there was an adjustment screw to speed up or slow down the clock. My clock loses about 5 minutes a day, so hopefully I can get it adjusted to be reasonably accurate.

BTW, I pulled my clock and it looks like the gauge has been untouched for the past 39 years, including the VDO paper sticker still attached. For reference, here is a shot of the back of my gauge.

Click to view attachment
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 26 2012, 06:01 PM) *

Thanks Tom for those links. I didn't realize there was an adjustment screw to speed up or slow down the clock. My clock loses about 5 minutes a day, so hopefully I can get it adjusted to be reasonably accurate.

BTW, I pulled my clock and it looks like the gauge has been untouched for the past 39 years, including the VDO paper sticker still attached. For reference, here is a shot of the back of my gauge.

Dave,

You likely missed the adjustment screw because, as you noted, the VDO sticker is still attached, and it covers the adjuster.

I just looked, and the few 914 Kienzle clocks I still have all display indications of having that sticker in the same location at one point (as does Mark's), but none actually retain it. Would you mind if I use your picture on the Clocks page of my site as reference for the original VDO sticker? That is very cool to see...
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Jan 1 2013, 07:46 AM) *

I just looked, and the few 914 Kienzle clocks I still have all display indications of having that sticker in the same location at one point (as does Mark's), but none actually retain it. Would you mind if I use your picture on the Clocks page of my site as reference for the original VDO sticker? That is very cool to see...

I answered Steve in a PM, but just to be thorough and tidy, I did say it was fine to use the pic of the back of my clock.
Steve Snyder
Thanks Dave!

See it here: p914_gauges_clock-73_back_sticker.htm
KeithVonLaws
Just chiming in on an old Topic:
My 8/73 built Car has the same clock with the plastic white housing. Its never been apart. ....lol I hope it works. The car has been off the road a very long time.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.