Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Brake - 914-6/GT Alloy Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Eric_Shea
Finally!!! The answer for those wanting the legendary 914-6/GT rear calipers on their car. New, ultra lightweight alloy rear calipers from "Vintage Brakes" are shipping now.

Experience the legendary stopping power the factory race team had when they won LeMans back in 1970. These 914-6/GT calipers give you a 38mm piston which is 15% larger than a stock 914 rear caliper piston. They also use an FMSI standard D31 pad which is 13% larger than stock 914... all in a package that is 5lbs. lighter per side! That's 10lbs. of unsprung weight taken off the back of your 914 race car (or 911 for that matter... drop the handbrake assembly and loose even more weight).

So... what does this mean for you? Well, the larger piston and pad size mirror that of it's Brother, the 911. Nearly every 911 had a 38mm piston and D31 pad in the rear from the legendary 911RS to the last 911SC in 1983. In fact, this is the same arrangement the factory put in a 914-6. Have you checked the prices on used 914-6 and 914-6/GT calipers (if you can find these hens teeth)? This means you can now bolt on just about any 911 front caliper you'd like and maintain a factory brake bias. Want to run a 914-6 stock setup? Run these (stock 6 versions are without spacers and $100 less) and a pair of 911 M-Calipers up front. Move up to legendary GT status? Add a pair of S-Calipers (cast off the same 908 casting the LeMans cars ran) and run these in the back. So now you can finally bolt on some brakes to your 914 and have it "factory perfect."

Handbrake? You bet, you can have big brakes and a stock handbrake assembly. Use stock handbrake cables and have a system designed specifically for your 914... a 914 handbrake system!

Our DuroAno finish on the calipers and the specifically designed pistons make these harder than steel! Our upgraded M8 (over stock M7) fasteners help keep the flex down to .002" (human hair) over their steel counterparts.

While you probably won't need vented rotors in the rear of your 914, these GT versions have the spacers added so they fit over wider, cooler running vented rotors*.

Finally, the perfect solution for all of these 914's that have a nice bump in horsepower... a nice bump in stopping power.

*Used with stock 911 rear rotors, these will need about 4.5mm worth of spacers (washers) under the caliper mounting ears or a spacer "under" the rotor. 914-6/GT rear rotors are still available from the factory for those who want to get the real deal from Germany (call for a quote).

IPB Image
PMB Performance
162 W. 9240 S.
Sandy, UT 84070
855-STOP-101
855-786-7101
sales@pmbperformance.com
www.pmbperformance.com

Love us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PMBPerfomance

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...676/9663436.htm]

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ConeDodger
Tease! mad.gif

Want. Can't yet have!
mepstein
Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
danimal16
I bought a pair of these for my project. Simply a work of art. IMHO a bargain for top quality.
Kaeferfreund
Hi!

Could anybody tell me/us some of his experiences with Erics new 914-6 GT calipers?

I mean this one here:
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...676/9663436.htm

Unfortunately "sold out", but I still hope, that Eric could offer a new serie sometime in shortterm?

Thanks!
raynekat
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Feb 6 2015, 09:03 AM) *
Unfortunately "sold out", but I still hope, that Eric could offer a new serie sometime in shortterm?

I too would be interested in purchasing a pair should any more be offered in the future.
mepstein
Mickey said Eric has these in stock so maybe the website needs to be updated?

Eric?
Glovebox
Eric! Please help !! Mine are leaking like crazy !!

Regards Mark.
914werke
What ever happened with these?
I had a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket then POOF NLA ~?
Inquiring minds want to know the story. sad.gif

Sale Price: $999.00
Availability: No Longer Available

Web admin smokin crack -
Secret handshake -
Gone for good -
Working out details -

Com'on dish sunglasses.gif
raynekat
PMB sold them all out, what they had.
They have no plans on making any more.
That's what I've been told.
So if you've missed the original build, you're out of luck unless any of the original purchasers put theirs up for sale.
914werke
Ok Ill bite ...
Who told you?
Since this is Erc's post Id have hoped he would chime in
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 24 2018, 07:44 PM) *

PMB sold them all out, what they had.
They have no plans on making any more.
That's what I've been told.
So if you've missed the original build, you're out of luck unless any of the original purchasers put theirs up for sale.

That’s what Eric told me in person.
raynekat
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 24 2018, 04:54 PM) *

Ok Ill bite ...
Who told you?
Since this is Erc's post Id have hoped he would chime in

Eric told me as well on the phone when we were speaking about rebuilding the rear steel GT reproduction calipers I sent them.
It really is the truth....sorry about that.
Mueller
Is that Vintage Brakes company still around?

A quick search only pulled up a place in Sonoma that makes pads for vintage motorcycles.

ConeDodger
I bought the last set and no they aren’t for sale unless you pony up $2000? blink.gif

And yes, the fact that they are sold out came directly from E. And the fact that there will be no more came directly from E.

He might do another run if 100 sets were presold and prepaid. But I doubt it.
914werke
sad.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 1 2018, 05:15 PM) *

I bought the last set and no they aren’t for sale unless you pony up $2000? blink.gif

And yes, the fact that they are sold out came directly from E. And the fact that there will be no more came directly from E.

How are these calipers working for you? I saw somebody say theirs leaked like crazy. I have a pair that still are new and probably will not be installed till this summer. I have to wonder why they were discontinued and Eric never commented on this post. Are there any issues with these calipers? I wonder how many sets were sold? Should I save these for my retirement fund?
mepstein
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 4 2018, 03:55 PM) *

How are these calipers working for you? I saw somebody say theirs leaked like crazy. I have a pair that still are new and probably will not be installed till this summer. I have to wonder why they were discontinued and Eric never commented on this post. Are there any issues with these calipers? I wonder how many sets were sold? Should I save these for my retirement fund?

I was looking for a set and then a pair of real 6's with extra GT spacers and bolts listed for $1k. Didn't take much thought...
lonewolfe
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 4 2018, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 4 2018, 03:55 PM) *

I was looking for a set and then a pair of real 6's with extra GT spacers and bolts listed for $1k. Didn't take much thought...

I would have gone for the genuine articles as well! Especially at that price! Less than the aftermarket calipers!
raynekat
The big difference is weight of course.
The genuine 914-6 calipers are steel.
These special ones made by PMB were aluminum....drastically lighter.
I mean drastically.
914werke
But the question remains.
If they were so Fab, at a great price, with what appears to be a decent demand...
Why are they no longer available?
Litigation?
Did material or component price suddenly change?
did they have an unusually high return/failure incidence?
Or ...something else entirely

Inquiring minds what to know smile.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 5 2018, 09:58 PM) *

If they were so Fab, at a great price, with what appears to be a decent demand...
Litigation?

Inquiring minds what to know

Only Eric can answer that properly I believe.
I think they were just a PITA to manufacture.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 6 2018, 10:13 PM) *

Litigation?

That’s what I heard too.

Remember, Eric has built PMB to the point that he has a 3 year backlog of work. I don’t think he wants the hassle of group buys and such, plus, I don’t think he profited too much even at retail.
Good score on the genuine article Mark!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 6 2018, 02:14 AM) *

The big difference is weight of course.
The genuine 914-6 calipers are steel.
These special ones made by PMB were aluminum....drastically lighter.
I mean drastically.

I think I calculated about 4# per side! So drastically is not hyperbole! biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 10 2018, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 6 2018, 10:13 PM) *

Litigation?

That’s what I heard too.

Remember, Eric has built PMB to the point that he has a 3 year backlog of work. I don’t think he wants the hassle of group buys and such, plus, I don’t think he profited too much even at retail.
Good score on the genuine article Mark!

Yes, a very nice member from Texas sold them to me. They will go on a future build. I had another set that I bought but sold to Dion for what I paid just because I felt that they were perfect for his car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.