Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Preventative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rstover

I have been looking for a rust preventatives that can be used to halt rust until the part can be cleaned and painted or to apply to places where just surface rust is present. If this has been addressed before I have missed it. I currently use Liquid Wrench or PB blaster. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Fluid Film?
toolguy
Look up Boshield T-9 made by Boeing Aircraft

« Older posts
Why Boeshield T-9®?
By Mary Lokker | Published: February 6, 2010

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Boeshield T-9® was developed and licensed by The Boeing Company to fill their need for a superior lubricant/protectant.

The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months.

We began by successfully introducing Boeshield T-9® to the tough saltwater marine market for lubricating and protecting all metals. It works well on engines and deck hardware as well as electronics, batteries and wiring connections. It is non-conductive and will not cause short circuits.

For bicycle chains, T-9® has proven to be a tough, long lasting waterproof lubricant. Our sales keep growing every year despite many competitors.

On woodworking tool surfaces Boeshield T-9® recently topped all other surface treatments in Wood Magazine’s article on Rust Busters*. According to them: “Except for the section treated with Boeshield T-9® all sections have completely rusted over”. “There is only one choice for protectant as far as we’re concerned: Boeshield T-9®”.

We feel we have the best product of its type on the market. In fact, if you think you’ve found a better penetrating lubricant and protectant, let us know, and we will refund your purchase price.

® Trademark and Technology owned and licensed by
THE BOEING COMPANY
Drums66
....Zinc! popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
- Hi Roger! Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and get some "Must For Rust". It's exactly what you are looking for. A penetrating fluid isn't good if you want to paint in the future.
banger
I know many people in Canada who swear by fluid film. It works very well, it is basically wool oil, and leaves a very waxy film. Having used fluid film and T9 in saltwater applications, I would go with fluid film.
Tilly74
I've used Vaseline many times before for rust prevention. I learned the trick when we used to put it on the metal buttons on our football helmets to keep them from rusting. Not sure how it does its job, but I've used it on many motorcycle parts. Some bikes use Allan head screws on the handlebars that collect rainwater and other corrosive materials. A small dab of Vaseline in those Allan heads keep them looking brand new even on a bike that lives outside.
Katmanken
That Fluid Film looks a lot like cosmoline, a rust inhibiting compound that has been used at least as far back as WWII.
rstover
I was close to the John Deere Dealer today and picked up a can of Fluid Film to try on these rusted spots. I asked the man at the counter if he had any experience with Fluid Film, he said it worked great for sheep with ring worms and also worked great on guns. I will give it a try and report back.Click to view attachment
bulitt
Ospho will convert rust and stop its progress.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
jimkelly
here is the stuff the navy used back in the day i'm told

IronHillRestorations
If you've got any rust the waxy cosmoline stuff won't treat the oxidation, that's why you need the Must For Rust or Ospho. If you plan to paint in the future you are making trouble with WD40 or anything waxy or petroleum based.
Mark Henry
Question to the guys knocking or saying they have something better than Fluid Film, how many of you have actually ever used it? popcorn[1].gif

rstover
Hi Perry I understand what you are saying about Fluid Film or waxy oily types of products should not be used to remove rust in areas that will be be repainted in the future. I think we are talking about two distinctly different categories. I am looking to treat small areas that has paint, plastic or rubber around them that I do not plan to repaint. It sounds like Fluid Film and Boshield T-9 are similar products that can be used around paint without harming the paint. Thanks to everyone for their input.

It seems to me that they used to coat new Porsches in cosmoline to ship. How did they get this stuff off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.