Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its snowing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
It has been snowing for 2 days off and on in York PA since Christmas Eve. I have been driving the Teener every day.

The bad:

No heat
Drips water on my lap
Windshield fogs up
Ice accumulates
Salt kills
barf.gif

The Good

Its so freekin fun to drive a 914 in the snow !!!!
VaccaRabite
Be careful! We have seen a lot of folks go skidding off the road.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 26 2012, 03:20 PM) *

How many of them were in a 914 ???

idea.gif
914Eric
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 26 2012, 12:20 PM) *

You are doing what you should...driving the car.

We get a little snow up here in northern Idaho as well. I swore I'd only drive my car the 8 "Good" months of the year. But I'm thinking I have to try it out in the snow at least once now that you pointed out how well it does.

happy11.gif
jsayre914
Dont get me wrong, I do have a Subaru parked in the driveway. I chose the more practicle car. The 914

smoke.gif bye1.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif
Bruce Hinds
Winter driving and rain is what these cars are about. Salt is the killer though. Go to Colorado, great roads and no salt!
Fix that heat and keep the revs up! piratenanner.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 26 2012, 04:04 PM) *

Winter driving and rain is what these cars are about. Salt is the killer though. Go to Colorado, great roads and no salt!
Fix that heat and keep the revs up! piratenanner.gif

Salt lol-2.gif

As long as my car can drive, it will be driven driving.gif
reharvey
You're a brave man. Never saw a 914 used as a salt car!
jsayre914
QUOTE(reharvey @ Dec 26 2012, 05:41 PM) *

Who do you think messed up all the 914's on the East Coast. happy11.gif
Tom_T
I used to drive mine in the snow to the SoCal, Mammoth, Tahoe & even Ashland OR & other OR & WA ski resorts in the winter from SoCal - & they're great handling & fun cars in the snow! smile.gif

Fortunately no salted roads out here though shades.gif
.... & my heater worked! biggrin.gif
Spoke
Awesome!

One of the first rides I had in a 914 in 74 was in the snow. Twisty roads with 2 inch of pristine snow. The car was very stable in the turns and braking.
RON S.

Joe,

That first pic rocks... aktion035.gif

That is one beautiful pic that captures the moment ''timelessly''

That being said, I myself wouldn't be brave enough to drive my /6'r on salted roads. Too many hours sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif & too many $$$$$$$$ fixing the tin worm.

Great Shots biggrin.gif
jsayre914
I drove my last 914 in the snow too. It was not as fast, but still fun. chowtime.gif
r_towle
We went to the movies last night.
Got about 6 inches of wet heavy snow.

I drove the A8 for the first time in a snow storm.
All I can say it WOW.

Lots of computers keeping me inline, and the car is rock solid in really crappy weather.

I did DD the 914 for a few years when I needed to , snow, rain, salt etc.
With the right tires, the car was fun in the snow, though sometime to low to see over snowbanks and with the low suspension you really need to pick your path so you dont get hung up on stuff.

Honestly, the beetle handles better in the snow than the 914.
I have yet to try the 911, but that may come out this year.
The Audi is just too cool, with the heated seats etc...I cant see driving anything else just to have the pleasure of cleaning it right after the ride...

BTW, I am still paying for those two years of salt driving with some new rust repair I get to do....

Rich
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2012, 12:15 PM) *

I drove the A8 for the first time in a snow storm.
All I can say it WOW.

I had my first WOW moment in '99 in about 4 inches of snow in my '97 A6Q. AWD is awesome in the snow. Won't have another 2WD all weather car (911, 914 excluded) while I live here in the northeast.

Since then, we've bought only AWD vehicles: '96 Subaru Legacy, '95 A6Q, '98 A4Q, '07 A4Q, '07 Volvo S60 AWD, and BMW 328xi.
r_towle
I had an A4 in Munich...but it was a 99 and while it held the road great, the car was lacking alot in other places...mainly the interior.

Now they got it right....
Thus the WOW.

It was really fun feeling the computer constantly correcting me...while I was trying to make the car let go.

Still favors the rear end when you put your foot down, but it corrects the slide in seconds now....all with heated seats and 18 speaker sound system smile.gif

rich
euro911
QUOTE(reharvey @ Dec 26 2012, 02:41 PM) *
How about a 912 'Salt Flat Car'? happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2012, 11:18 AM) *

I had an A4 in Munich...but it was a 99 and while it held the road great, the car was lacking alot in other places...mainly the interior.

Thus the WOW.

It was really fun feeling the computer constantly correcting me...while I was trying to make the car let go.

Still favors the rear end when you put your foot down, but it corrects the slide in seconds now....all with heated seats and 18 speaker sound system smile.gif

rich

so you don know how to drive yourserlf ?? poke.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 27 2012, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2012, 11:18 AM) *

Thus the WOW.

rich

so you don know how to drive yourserlf ?? poke.gif

Older you get the less you remember....you too will find out.
Not to mention the fact that I try and drive it like the roads are dry...

Rich
bruce54
Do you carry chains with you? I have a set of snowtreds that have never been used that I would sell .
ConeDodger
Mine would not be fun to drive in the snow...

Or, it would be lots of fun depending on how you view mayhem. evilgrin.gif
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 28 2012, 10:52 AM) *

Mine would not be fun to drive in the snow...

Or, it would be lots of fun depending on how you view mayhem. evilgrin.gif

They are all good to drive in the snow---4 wheels sliding piratenanner.gif .
jsayre914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif
CG-914
I like that you show everybody that a (old) Porsche is a daily driver! piratenanner.gif

We drove a 89 Carrera in Germany for 10 years in every weather and now my parents drive an 72 911 T every day every weather.

My 914 is in the engine clinic also called our garage right now and I never drove it in the snow before, also they dont know how to spray salt in TN! dry.gif sad.gif
Dr Evil
I cant believe that Noel and I will be driving in that shit on our way to Matt's, tomorrow.
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment

More fun than you could ever imagine.
jsayre914
I noticed my car changed from blue to white dry.gif

salt anybody????

FERG.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.