Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp Sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I just got my Haynes and was hoping to have a bit more info in there but this thing is not very good as far as info goes.

I am concerned because at this point I am just unsure if everything having to do with the oil cooler and actual temp of the engine is running correctly (or even there).

I can feel a lot of air coming from under the car when the engine is running so I assume the fan is running correctly. However, I am unsure if this is cooling the oil cooler correctly. I am just also a bit unsure whether this temp gauge is working because it never seems to move. Any help is appreciated.

I am still a newbie so please be gentle smile.gif

Click to view attachment
76-914
More info...........it has a console w/ 3 ga cluster? one of them being the temp gage?? and whichever gage never moves....at all??
last337
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 26 2012, 04:06 PM) *

More info...........it has a console w/ 3 ga cluster? one of them being the temp gage?? and whichever gage never moves....at all??

Yes that is exactly correct. If it moves it is barely noticeable
turk22
I have the same problem, and at some point I'll either replace the sender, or fix the gauge, but for the time being, I've put in a dipstick thermometer. Which give me some piece of mind that the car is running at the correct temp.
last337
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 26 2012, 04:41 PM) *

I have the same problem, and at some point I'll either replace the sender, or fix the gauge, but for the time being, I've put in a dipstick thermometer. Which give me some piece of mind that the car is running at the correct temp.

Do you have a link to dipstick thermometer? I think that'll give some piece of mind as well while I cut my teeth. This is my first air-cooled car and I'm a bit lost at the moment confused24.gif
walterolin
http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/1dipstick3.html

About $50.00. I bought one recently, suspect it won't be real accurate beacause the dial is very small, but I'll calibrate it with boiling water first, I might be wrong.

It's a cute little toy.
SLITS
1.) Does the needle jump a bit when you turn the key on? If no, you don't have power.

2.) All the connections for the gauges are under the center console. There are connectors there that tie into the gauge assembly harness.

3.)Green with black trace goes to gauge terminal (oil temp) .... red with white trace goes to + (power) ... Brown to ground .... Blue with black trace are for illumination.

Single wire comes from sender on bottom of engine case.
last337
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 26 2012, 06:40 PM) *

1.) Does the needle jump a bit when you turn the key on? If no, you don't have power.

2.) All the connections for the gauges are under the center console. There are connectors there that tie into the gauge assembly harness.

3.)Green with black trace goes to gauge terminal (oil temp) .... red with white trace goes to + (power) ... Brown to ground .... Blue with black trace are for illumination.

Single wire comes from sender on bottom of engine case.

The temp gauge needle does jump when the key is turned so it appears to be getting power. I am wondering if the sender is bad. I have attached a pic and it looks like it is leaking. Does that indicate a bad sender? Also, in this other pic, what is the wire hanging? And should the fan outlet have a hose on it? Or is that only if I have the heater hooked up?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.