Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a press in the garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Was wondering if anyone had a cheapo hydraulic press in their garage for pressing in bearings, removing roll-pins, etc.

I know you can go with the old all-thread, washer, socket trick for the bearings, but figure I might spring for a press.

Any advice? Pictures?

Thanks,

Karl
ChrisReale
If you get one, wanna do my rear bushings and bearings?? tongue.gif
Bleyseng
I have several sizes of hammers and mauls. Body hammers to a 10 lb doublejack, so I use the JP method mostly! smash.gif
If that don't work out comes the heat!!
Geoff
Mueller
I have a 6 ton unit from Harbor Freight

IPB Image

I bought it a few years ago since I was too cheap to pay someone to press in my wheel studs....
works great for pressing out the axles in the rear trailing arms and pressing in new rear wheel bearings.
ChrisReale
How much does that press cost?
Mueller
Normally 70 bucks, on sale for <50.00
L8Apex
I've used that same press before. Works fine with my honda bearings and wheel studs.
nealnorlack
Large angle iron, cheap hydraulic jack, nuts and bolts and you can build one yourself fairly cheap. I prefer to take it to the local Porsche shop and let them do it. I was gonna build one but had do ask myself how often do I press in bearings? smash.gif

Cheers, Elliot
bernbomb914
Just bought one at HARBOR f. WAS $129.000 12 TON
Works Great

Bernie driving.gif
Mueller
Elliot,

I bought all of the materials to build my own, plus a $10 bottle jack from Harbor Frieght...it cost less than $10 more to buy this 6 ton unit....luckly I have found a few uses for the steel that I bought, but for the most part, it just gets in the way when I am cleaning my garage smile.gif

To make my press more versitale, I have mine mounted on a metal bench that is open under the press between the legs so that I am not limited by the horizontal "feet"
Jeff Krieger
Anyone have a solvent tank in their garage? I think that it was one of the most useful tools that I used when I went to vocational school and it's a pain doing without one now.
nealnorlack
Aren't there some environmental issues involved with that icon14.gif
Cheers, Elliot
nealnorlack
Speaking of the environment... I leave for Hong Kong in the morning. Wish me luck! icon8.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(nealnorlack @ May 15 2003, 11:06 PM)
Aren't there some environmental issues involved with that icon14.gif
Cheers, Elliot

IIRC, the school would save the used solvent in large drums and then somebody would come around to pick it up and dispose of it properly.
GWN7
Actually if you let the used solvent sit. The heavy particles settle out and it can be reused again.
Gint
Once you have a solvent tank in your garage, you won't ever want to do work without it. Yes, I have one. Picked up real solvent from NAPA, and the same batch has been in the tank for 2 years. I recently replaced the 3 gallons or so that has evaporated over the course of 2 years. There's a lot of crap in the bottom of the tank. One of these days I might clean it.... wink.gif
URY914
Karl,
What are you going to do with all your tools when you get your car done?

Paul

P.S. When is the get together? Not too many replies here, but I see your PP post got some intrest.
cha914
I looked into buying one of the Harbor Freight ones...but looked like it was barely held together in the store...I am going to just make one...or maybe I will buy the HF one and just re-weld it ...hmm
Lawrence
Can you redo the pedal cluster without a press?

I just bought an engine stand and creeper from this guy on eBay. Quality isn't bad for home units. A solvent bath and press will probably be next... but not soon.

I'm putting all this stuff in my son's bedroom... since I don't have a garage. LOL

-Rusty
URY914
You don't a press for the pedals.
Hammer and punch is all you'll need.
Kargeek
I have a low cost floor standing press I bought 10 years ago and it’s great to have. If I had the money I’d buy a unit with greater adjustability as it seems every time I have to press something I have to shim or make a piece to compensate for the lack adjustability of the lower table. Set the pins in the legs to raise or lower the table and the stroke of the jack bottle shaft won’t work with what you are pressing. Items in my shop including the press I would never let go of is the good high volume compressor, my bead blast cabinet, and the parts washer. I set up my old gray-mills parts washer with one of those remote spin on VW oil filter adaptors on the discharge line- filters the solvent. DH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.