Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Can anyone tell me what this is?

Click to view attachment
Gint
That rod is for the cooling flaps under the top tin that direct cooling air over the cylinders and the oil cooler. You'll have a pic or diagram in a few minutes.
billh1963
Are you referring to the spring for the cooling flaps?
billh1963
Gint...looks like you beat me to the punch!
Gint
Read this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=37560&

And the classic thread
The Classic Forum thread

This is easier:
Everything you ever wanted to know about Type IV temp control.

Search for +cool*+flap* in thread titles only
last337
How does the thermostat open and close? The rod on mine seems to be locked completely to where it won't turn at all
Gint
Heat expands the thermostat and that spring loaded rod turns and moves the flaps. Go read those threads in the links I gave you. You'll know it all in an hour.

And try turning that lock tab assembly and see if the rod rotates or if it's stuck.
wingnut86
It shouldn't move until the bimetallic diaphragm heats up or cools down. The small u-shaped cable keeper to the left of the spring should have a bare metal cable run through it.

As you disassemble the tin on the left side of the motor (our left as viewed in the image), the cable feeds down into the thermostat. It is mounted low on the block to detect heat. You can test it when removed by suspending it in just-shy-of-boiling water. The thermostat expands or contracts like a miniature accordion, putting tension on that cable and corresponding baffles...
carr914
DipStick?
euro911
You're missing the metal tab that helps to keep the rod in place too.

Click to view attachment

Actually, there are two of them.

It typically doesn't get cold enough here in So Cal to require a thermostat.
last337
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 26 2012, 09:49 PM) *

You're missing the metal tab that helps to keep the rod in place too.

Click to view attachment

Actually, there are two of them.

It typically doesn't get cold enough here in So Cal to require a thermostat.

Yeah, Im in New Orleans so I think I am guessing I am in the same boat. However, from what I am reading these things fail open so even if it is not working I should be safe. I am I safe in assuming that to be correct for the time being?
Gint
QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 27 2012, 06:15 AM) *
Yeah, Im in New Orleans so I think I am guessing I am in the same boat. However, from what I am reading these things fail open so even if it is not working I should be safe. I am I safe in assuming that to be correct for the time being?
No. Go out and check it. It's easy.
type47
looks like the cable is broken. To me, it looks like there is a little piece of the cable; looks like a frayed end of a bare stranded wire, sticking out the end and a copper colored piece sticking up and if you follow it, looks like it extends down through the tin. Maybe all you need is a cable (and little "keeper/metal tab" as posted above)
last337
QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 27 2012, 09:04 AM) *

looks like the cable is broken. To me, it looks like there is a little piece of the cable; looks like a frayed end of a bare stranded wire, sticking out the end and a copper colored piece sticking up and if yo follow it, looks like it extends down through the tin. Maybe all you need is a cable (and little "keeper/metal tab" as posted above)

I will look and see what position the flaps are currently in and post some pics
abnrdo
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 26 2012, 07:05 PM) *

Heat expands the thermostat and that spring loaded rod turns and moves the flaps. Go read those threads in the links I gave you. You'll know it all in an hour.

And try turning that lock tab assembly and see if the rod rotates or if it's stuck.

I learned that by watching "Wheeler Dealer." Most likely the thermostat bellows is not working properly.
7TPorsh
What is the position of the tab when the engine is hot or cold...forward or back like the image?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Dec 27 2012, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 26 2012, 07:05 PM) *

I learned that by watching "Wheeler Dealer." Most likely the thermostat bellows is not working properly.

I hope you didn't take Edd at face value, 'cause he was WAAAAAY off on a lotta stuff in the 914 episodes. Too bad, he is usually mostly right.

The Cap'n
last337
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 27 2012, 10:12 AM) *

What is the position of the tab when the engine is hot or cold...forward or back like the image?

When cold the tab is bar is towards the front of the vehicle. I am able to rotate the bar towards the back of the vehicle as if the wire was pulling it down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.