Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nasty Porsche Wreck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Wait all the way to the end.

Ouch.

Warning: Nasty nasty conclusion to a wreck. Don't watch if you might get upset. icon8.gif

Nasty Porsche Wreck
machina
I'm not squeamish, but I wish I hadn't watched that. barf.gif
Howard
Gee, thanks icon8.gif
iamchappy
There are 2 more videos of the crash which are more amazing than this, both drivers survive but the Ferrari driver sat in the flaming car for it seems like an eternity and is eventually helped out of the car only to be left alone smoldering while he tries to remove his melted on helmet.
iamchappy
Here is the story.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/archive/200...0fp019000c.html
scruz914
Cured me!
Mark Henry
WOW! blink.gif

That Ferrari blowed up real gUUd!

This isn't the first time I've heard of a Ferrari going up in flames like this idea.gif
hargray2
I saw this about a week ago. I thought it was funny until the explosion. It's just funny
to see that expensive car bouncing off things and the flagman up top unholsters
all out and goes 'duel-flag' flappy mad. lol2.gif

And right at the last moment he quits flapping and thinks "Oh Fuck". lol2.gif lol2.gif
hargray2
ROFLMAO! It almost sounds like someone added some sound effects.

My favorite part is when the ass of the car hits the wall and the wing flies straight up
and slams back down. GREAT sound on impact. Hilarious.
hargray2
I'm sorry guys. I just keep playing it and laughing harder for some reason. I didn't even
pay that much attention to it a week ago.

It even looks like he's gonna fall back in and finish in reverse behind the BMW! lol2.gif
Jenny
Didya catch the pace car in the front? They didn't even get going yet!! Can you imagin what it'd be like at speed??

Jen
Jeroen
The version I saw earlier this week showed the Porsche driver crawling out of the car and then more of the Ferrari, that just sat there burning, for what looked like ages.
No rescue workers in sight. I don't see what's funny about it confused24.gif

a slighly longer video of the same accident

The fact that the Ferarri just blew up like that is just as alarming as the lack of safety workers at the track...

Scary shit
hargray2
OK, I'm over it now. It just struck me wrong tonight. I didn't think the explosion was funny at all-BTW. It's just one of those things that hits you as funny and you wind up being the only one laughing.
dinomium
I dunno how anybody could find this (or most other auto racing crashes) funny in the least. That was the start of that race and all of those cars were fully loaded with fuel. The driver of the Ferrari suffered major burns and it was a career ender for him.
I have said it here before: Fire is VERY scarey!!
hargray2
QUOTE(hargray2 @ Nov 8 2004, 04:04 PM)

I saw this about a week ago. I thought it was funny until the explosion.

I didn't think the explosion was funny at all-BTW.

I never said people getting hurt was funny. Read a bit closer.

I still think it's funny when the friggin' wing flew off. I bet the guy has 200k in that car.
Someone is dropping some major cash there and THAT is funny. It's just a part of racing.
ppickerell
Which car strikes you as the bleeder? The first car looks like it is the one whose cell broke. Was there implications of inappropriate cell rupture? What's a fuel cell and install gonna cost me Brad? I may try and run DE and TT events next year and expect to see the north side of 360. No lika carbecue.
LvSteveH
I don't think funny is the right word, but it's not exactly shocking when a person straps themselves into a car, goes exceedingly fast in close proximity to rigid immovable objects, and occasionally it goes awry. I would never wish harm on anyone, but shit happens.
ppickerell
That is the dilemna I am faced with. I have AX'ed a couple of times and am thinking about track events on a strictly amateur basis. But every now and then I have to remind myself, that it is inherently dangerous! My son will probably share seat time next season, so I am now contemplating rollbar etc. Hello Halon system!
LvSteveH
Just watched the video, wow. If you go super slow-motion, I think you can see the fuel come from the porsche in a spray, covering the ferrari, and then turning it into an italian shiskabob. I don't think there's much safety equipment that could have prevented that, once the bladder ruptured, it was all over in 1/100 of a second. I think it looks worse than it is, but it still sucks mucho.
bernbomb914
That is NASTY

Bernie
GaroldShaffer
Just can't see how any of that is "funny" confused24.gif

I am no expert, and have only work one national SCCA event as a corner work, but when anything like this happens its scary stuff. I seen my share of accidents and close calls that weekend, the worst was in Showroom stock class when a mustang tapped a neon going in to turn 5 at gingerman and put the neon on its driver side as it slid across the track.

oh, and as for the guy waving the flag(s), that is what you are suppose to do, wave them big and fast so the drivers can see them.
redshift
It's out of morbidity that we even watch these things, and they help us learn lessons, and sometimes..... it's going to strike a person or two that way..

It's alright, there's nothing wrong with reaction. I sincerely doubt that anyone finding humor out of the macabre would waste a second screaming across a track (running fast into a furious fire) to the person involved in the accident, to do what they could to help.

It's not 'funny'... but I see how it could feel 'funny'..

I'm glad they all got out, if you want to read one about some who didn't, take a look at one of the best stories on the web:

http://www.worldwar2pilots.com/guynn-01.htm

Sorry for the jacking, back to the regularly scheduled mi iss c o mu nic ati on..

wink.gif

Miles
Meredith
Miles...I think that's the most serious thing I've ever seen you write. I'm more in shock from that than from the video (and let me tell you, that video got me pretty good).

Mer
redshift
Mere, that's the 'real' me, the other 'me' is never serious, never, never, never..

I live in irony, I'm not a complete -radio edit-.

wink.gif

M
Randal
The Stewards that were controlling this race should be shot, for any number of common sense reasons.
Meredith
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 8 2004, 09:42 PM)
Mere, that's the 'real' me, the other 'me' is never serious, never, never, never..

I'm not sure if I should believe that... wink.gif
redshift
sad.gif

We are both real!

(I had to split off from the others though... they were trouble..)

M
Meredith
You know, for some strange reason, I don't think I want to meet "the others". unsure.gif
Root_Werks
Dang, that sucked. Glad to hear the drivers made it out. Hope they didn't get all burned up. sad.gif
dinomium
According to the newz story, the driver of the Ferrari was crippled and was awarded 30 million yen. He drove in four straight LeMans.
If you watch the longer version the Ya ROON posted, you can see the 911 driver crawling out and the poor bastard in the Ferrari just burning...
The track stewards were negligent and the safty car driver incompetent. The fire guys were at the corners, not midway down the front straight...
redshift
30 million yen! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOL DOG!! You could buy... a.... case of pork and beans with 30 million yen!

M
Jeroen
Nice avator Miles laugh.gif

"thou shalt not kill"
It was ordered to be removed by the police, because it might be considered offensive wacko.gif
redshift
ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
PatrickP,

Bill Pickering has a Fuel Safe fuel cell built into a 914 gas tank he needs to sell. It is a direct replacement for the factpry tank.

The guy driving the 993 didnt even have his lights on... I dont even know why they where trying to hold the event...

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.