Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement seat belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I would like to replace the seat belts in my car. I have a '73 so it has the recessed spots for shoulder straps. The driver side is intact but someone replaced the passenger with a lap belt. I would like to put two new shoulder belts in place just for safety reasons. Does anyone know of a good vendor? I have seen a bunch around, even some with some 'vintage' looking belts. However, I am not sure exactly what measurements are required to fit the 914.
last337
I am trying to figure which, if any, shoulder straps will work. I have both buckles just missing the retractable shoulder strap for the passenger side. I know these repas are fairly rare, just wondering if it is worth salvaging old ones or not.

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
a brand new direct replacement seat set at a low cost would be great but i do not think there is one currently. some use 944 belt system but you have to modify car a bit to make them fit and they are still 20 years old.
last337
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 27 2012, 03:41 PM) *

a brand new direct replacement seat set at a low cost would be great but i do not think there is one currently. some use 944 belt system but you have to modify car a bit to make them fit and they are still 20 years old.

Will a regular 3 point system from a seat belt vendor work? I just want something safe for my passenger
yeahmag
I used a setup from these guys that worked for a few if us now.

https://www.gotbelts.com/retractable-lap-shoulder-belts/

PCA and POC can be picky about the condition of your belts. Get a kit that works and put the old ones in a box for posterity.
last337
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 27 2012, 11:31 PM) *

PCA and POC can be picky about the condition of your belts. Get a kit that works and put the old ones in a box for posterity.

Thanks, I saw those and was thinking of trying one to see how it fit.
JawjaPorsche
I purchased a brand new one from Auto Atlanta last year.
Chris Pincetich
I did 944 belts beerchug.gif
MUCH smoother and better
However, it was a bit of work to unravel the whole mechanism to swap the receiver bit (that buckles in) from 914 to 944 (including resewing belt at point it first winds into mechanism) x2.

last337
I wanted to follow up on this thread. I called around and talked to steve at Seatbeltplanet.com and he said they had recently made a few replacement belts for several older Porsche models and he already had done a 914 and had all the measurements and mechainism orientation set. I ordered one for $99.95. He said he wasn't sure of hardware for mounting but I have one side intact so I can pull those bolts for matching. I will post pics of them mounted but these are pics he sent beforehand. All in all a good experience so far biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
ThinAir
Exactly what set did you use? These look pretty good, but they need you to specify dimensions - do you know what they are?

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 27 2012, 10:31 PM) *

somd914
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 2 2013, 08:56 PM) *

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I called around and talked to steve at Seatbeltplanet.com and he said they had recently made a few replacement belts for several older Porsche models and he already had done a 914 and had all the measurements and mechainism orientation set. I ordered one for $99.95. He said he wasn't sure of hardware for mounting but I have one side intact so I can pull those bolts for matching. I will post pics of them mounted but these are pics he sent beforehand. All in all a good experience so far biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

I too have been looking for a replacement seatbelt set - driver side locks up frequently and is getting worse, almost couldn't get the belt out the other.

What's their turn around time and do you have any specific ordering info besides talking to Steve?

Thanks!
ripper911
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 12 2013, 10:35 AM) *

I too have been looking for a replacement seatbelt set - driver side locks up frequently and is getting worse, almost couldn't get the belt out the other.

What's their turn around time and do you have any specific ordering info besides talking to Steve?

Thanks!

Try lubricating the belt with scotchguard.
JmuRiz
I remember a post long ago about cleaning them and scotchguarding them once clean. Does anyone remember who posted that thread?
stephenaki
I have an extra set for anyone that is interested; I'll pull the box out and get the info on them tomorrow. I only want the cost to ship them if anyone wants them.
somd914
I haven't tried the Scotchguard trick since my issue is the inertia lock kicks in when pulling the belt out. It can take numerous attempts to get the belt out. I'm assuming lubricating won't help this, but I could be wrong - been known to happen every now and then...

Stephenaki - PM sent
last337
I am really happy with what I got but I'm having a hard time finding the right mounting bolts. I thought they were m12-1.25 but they don't seem to fit. Anyone know the right thread?
914Sixer
Threads on bolt are SAE NOT Metric. I am not sure what the deal is.
SKL1
I just had new belts made for my '73 I'm restoring done by seatbelt planet and they look and work great. Used the OEM ends.
Had them done in red to match the car.
SKL1
Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture! Looks really bad blown up!!
stephenaki
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 13 2013, 12:40 PM) *

I haven't tried the Scotchguard trick since my issue is the inertia lock kicks in when pulling the belt out. It can take numerous attempts to get the belt out. I'm assuming lubricating won't help this, but I could be wrong - been known to happen every now and then...

Stephenaki - PM sent

Got the PM here is the picture of the seat belts. Three point belts, brand new, been sitting in the box for about 2 years.
Click to view attachment
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 13 2013, 03:40 PM) *

Stephenaki - PM sent

I have the same issue with my drivers side and would love a fix if anybody can suggest one that keeps it stock and is cheap.
Tom_T
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jan 14 2013, 07:20 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 13 2013, 03:40 PM) *

Stephenaki - PM sent

I have the same issue with my drivers side and would love a fix if anybody can suggest one that keeps it stock and is cheap.

Google for rebuilding seatbelt retractors.

I found several "how to's" which basically involve taking them apart, cleaning out 30-40 years of crud, regreasing the moving bits, & rewinding the springs inside. One had videos & another site had pix. Good time to change out or trim/de-fray the belt webbing then too.
rjames
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 13 2013, 08:49 PM) *

I just had new belts made for my '73 I'm restoring done by seatbelt planet and they look and work great. Used the OEM ends.
Had them done in red to match the car.

How much $?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.