Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From Cars 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DBCooper
I'm an ex owner of Austin Healeys and BSA's, so I laughed out loud at the line from Cars 2 describing English cars: "If there ain't no oil under it there ain't no oil in it."

Great line. Fun when they're running, but....

Got me to thinking about 914's. I read a thread from someone with no mechanical experience asking about the viability of owning a 914. I generally wouldn't recommend that anyone own a 40 year old car if he couldn't fix most things himself, but then I realized that on my car the mechanical things are pretty much nailed down. I work on it regularly, but they're mostly upgrades, new rubber, upholstery, seals, etc. Still need to install more seals, a new fuse box, detail the trunks, new glove box, carpets, etc, but nothing that would leave me stranded. The times it's broken down it was really me, breaking CV joints or something else perfectly avoidable. I still think I'd be hesitant to recommend any old car for someone with no mechanical abilities. Porsches might make me stop to think, but I'd sure as hell never recommend a 40 year old English or Italian car. Heck, even cartoons make fun of them.

billh1963
Well, I don't know about that. All through college my roommate and still best friend drove a 20 yo Triumph Spitfire. It marked its territory and we had our share of of stuff breaking; however, the car always got him home!

Later on, I drove a 1975 Spitfire 1500 daily for over a year and only suffered a failed clutch slave (I still drove it home)

All these cars (914's and LBC's) are super simple from a mechanical point of view and the lack of electronics are a benefit as cars age.

British cars get their lumps for leaking oil and dodgy electronics; however, their motors are extremely reliable and with proper maintenance are just reliable as 914's
DBCooper
Yeah, like I said, I had English cars too and didn't walk home often either. Now those BSA's were a different story.

But I'm more curious about the practical skill level needed to own these cars. Would you recommend a 914 to someone with no mechanical abilities? Would you put your wife in a 914, for example, as a daily? Weekend fun? And that Spitfire? I don't want to get into details of your relationship or anything, but any qualms waving bye as she drove off? I've walked back from test drives, and also gone to get people I've loaned my cars to. So would YOU recommend a 914, "totally restored" or not, to someone with no skills?
r_towle
Different strokes for different folks.

Having three boys and a girl, I only am comfortable having my number two son "Rocket" driving an old car.

The two other boys make me fear them driving anything that needs oil regularly....cause they just dont do that often enough.

My daughter is very attentive and when I tell her to check the car weekly, she does.

So, my son has a 914, my oldest son has killed off three cars...now drive a more modern van.

I guess its all about how willing the person is to learn about maintenance.
I still believe that an older car is just cheaper to own and operate once you get it up to snuff mechanically.

I dont want to think about the bills I will get for the newer cars I have that I really cannot work on if something electrical or emmissions related happens.

As I get older, I am making efforts to get my older cars perfect with the intention of dropping the newer cars eventually and DD the older, cheaper, and easier cars.

rich
struckn
I tend to agree and disagree. I'd recommend a 914 as a great hobby car, or even daily driver, as long as you have a back up car should the teener have problems.
I'd recommend either buying a solid and mechanically sound 914, or having a good independent Porsche Shop bring a newly purchased 914 up to being mechanically sound, and then as owner be prepaired to continue maintaining from that point on with help from Forums such as this and people in the area who know the cars.

rolleyes.gif
Tom_T
My buddies & I used to do an annual 3-4 day/weekend "road rally" up California's Coast 1 Hwy SoCal to SF during the late-70's to early-80's - which included: my 73 914-2.0, & the others' cars were 71 914/4, 72 914/4, 60 Bugeye, 68 Spitfire & one time a rented new Mustang convertible (Bugeye had been given to my buddy's Dad) - which got jokes from the rest of us the whole trip.

The 914's & Bugeye were pretty much flawless runners; & the Spit usually was, but that buddy did a lot of major overhaul work on it the rest of the year & just before that +/- 1000 mile round trip. All cars were also our DD's - except for the 71 914/4, which only went once & was pretty much a rarely seen & original owner weekend garage queen (it's currently <67k mi & I'd posted it in O&H forums in 2010-ish).

However, I did have a business colleague who literally owned 2 `80's Lotus Esprits, & he said he needed a 3rd one as back-up for the one in the shop & other getting ready to break! biggrin.gif

Our 914's today are as old as what we used to think were ancient cars of the 1920's-30's back when our cars & these others were new in the 1960's-70's, & nobody was using a Model A or T as a DD back then! biggrin.gif

So I'd say that our 914's are pretty well made cars, when properly cared for, as with any vehicle.

DB - while I can & have worked on my cars - & before I had one, on friends & family cars; at this point & being so busy - not to mention wanting someone else's "warranty" on the work, I prefer to use my mechanics/shop since 1975. I'll take full advantage of my factory trained Porsche/VW/Audi/etc. guy Hans & his brother & his shop guys who he's trained, for as long as he's working on them!

Cheers to the Porsches, Brits & other cool classics! beerchug.gif
billh1963
I have multiple "old cars" now and I drive them frequently. That being said, for long trips I still turn to my newer car and truck for anything over an hour or two unless it's event related. There are many on this forum who take frequent long trips in their 914 and a couple even use them as a DD. I don't feel comfortable doing that. My older cars are "toys" and to be enjoyed (that even includes the maintenance).

My newer vehicles are "tools" and I expect them to function as near perfect as possible! driving.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.