Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny gearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GulleyGulley
Current setup is 6:29 short ring & pinion & Quiafe limited slip. I'll be running a 3.2 engine & would like the gearing to be more streetable. Right now it runs about 3 - 4,000rpms at highway speeds with a 2liter six installed. The PO had this setup more for autocross than street use. Most of my driving is highway/street with less than 12 track/autocross events a year. What would you suggest?
r_towle
First off, what are you doing with the 2.0 liter motor?
If you want to sell it, please let me know.

For the transmission gearing, I would suggest you go seach through the CarQuip web site.
He has some decent gearing charts.

There is also a few spreadsheets here if you search for them.

Rich
GulleyGulley
The 2.0 will be for sale later this winter. I want to hold onto it until I have the 3.2 installed. It's a good, no issue engine. PM your email & I can send you some pics and build info on it. I'm going bigger to keep up with F'ing hondas & mini coopers. They're kickin my poor old car's butt.
Steve
With the 901 second gear cannot be changed, so your kind of stuck with first and second. On flat ground I would start off in second with mine and only use first to get the car rolling on steep hills. Regarding 5th, switch to a flipped H. It will make the 3.2 run at 80 mph at 3k rpms.
r_towle
you may want to match a 911/915 gearbox.
I have the 3.2 carerra, the gears are great for all types of driving.
Mine is an 84/85 so its a first year 3.2...they changed the tranny later on to the G50, but the 915 gears can be used in the 914.

You can change the 2nd gear pretty easily with a 904 main shaft.
Otto's Venice has them typically..or ebay

Rich
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2012, 03:02 PM) *

Mine is an 84/85 so its a first year 3.2...they changed the tranny later on to the G50, but the 915 gears can be used in the 914.

You can change the 2nd gear pretty easily with a 904 main shaft.
Otto's Venice has them typically..or ebay

Rich

Correction - to my knowledge, you can not use 915 gears in a 901 box
jimkelly
i think he meant gear ratio's

Trekkor
Get a stock 5th gear set.

I bet someone would give you a set.

I just gave away two.

There is a fair amount of work in doing trans disassembly and gear swapping.
If this is a street car, you may just want to install a good used 901 and sell the racing gearbox.

KT
Trekkor
This chart is very important if you are considering running different gearsets in your 901:

IPB Image

My current set is: C-F-Ka ( flipped ZD ) S-X

65 mph in 5th is about 3600 rpms, for example.
7300 in 1st is 45 mph on the other hand.

KT
GulleyGulley
Thanks for the chart. Great info to have. I may go as suggested & install a stock type tranny.
Steve
I dumped the 901 for a 916, because I didn't want to end up a 4 speed. 1st gear is way to low for a 3.2. You could buy a 904 main shaft and change all the gears to match a late model 915, but you will still end up a with a weak first gear that you will always be paranoid about.
Dr Evil
The best gearing all around for a 3.2 is an A, F, O, X, flipped H. Your wheel dia will dictate the the end RPM. You can change the R/P and enjoy the 7:31 stock setup for taller gears.

All this is not too much $$ to do and you can sell the 6:29 for $$$
brant
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 27 2012, 08:21 PM) *

I dumped the 901 for a 916, because I didn't want to end up a 4 speed. 1st gear is way to low for a 3.2. You could buy a 904 main shaft and change all the gears to match a late model 915, but you will still end up a with a weak first gear that you will always be paranoid about.

I run an F first gear
and 5 useable gear ratios
they are good for 200hp on a race track
more on a street car
some of the weakness myth is just that....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.