Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl plotter..who has one and what did ya buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Running out of stock of my side scripts....need to look at buying a plotter....my supplier decided to take an extended vaction in prison....looks like more than a year.... unsure.gif
ddroger
I have a small ROLAND vinyl plotter. Its limited to just over 6" high x about 39" long, and does have difficulty cutting the tougher metallic vinyls. Aside from that, its been a good machine for a number of years, and I've had no real problems with it.

It will use any microsoft fonts, plus allows some modification of those fonts, and has on-board circles and other simple geometric shapes

The only shortcomings I've found is that it will only import *.bmp files; and because its files are unique, one can't export to other software; even other Roland plotter software.

It's from their "STIKA" line & is model STX-7

geezer givemebeer.gif
Joe Bob
I'm looking for one that would accept rolls 24-30 inches wide and have software that would allow scanned images to be cut.....
rick 918-S
I thought Skline said he had one.
seanery
I have a Master Cutter XY-300P
Joe Bob
So can you scan something with the supplied software or transfer a scanned item and use as a template?

Can you use rolls and does it work on Windows...most of the ones I have seen are stinking Mac users.... <_<
TimT
I dont know anything about plotters, but I do want someone to make a vinyl sillouette (full sized)of a 914 for the side of my trailer
redshift
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 8 2004, 07:24 PM)
I have a Master Cutter XY-300P

I didn't know you were a professional DJ!

Yo! YO!!!!!!

G Master M!
Trekkor
The Racer's Group in Sonoma has a nice set up.
Call them and see what they have.

They do all the graphics for all their race cars in house.
Deanna is their graphics lady.

She did the window banner and side numbers for me.

KT
Dman
We have a 24" Roland Camm1 they work great for the money and you use it like a printer out of Illistrator so you can scan anything in.

I think all cutters have problems with metalics.
seanery
metallics need a 60 degree blade.
With mine I can scan (if I want to) and then vectorize.
I do all of my art in Photoshop and import a file. I don't use their software for much more than page layout and cutting.

The Roland Color Camms are nice but way more $$$ - I want one biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 8 2004, 04:15 PM)
The Racer's Group in Sonoma has a nice set up.
Call them and see what they have.

They do all the graphics for all their race cars in house.
Deanna is their graphics lady.

She did the window banner and side numbers for me.

KT

Thanks....nice gal, recommended the 30 inch "Summa"...may be incorrectly speeeleddd....
MattR
Ive got a Roland also. Im on my second one and they've both worked great. The second is a monster... it cuts really fast and just feeds a roll from the back. I dont have a price or part number though sad.gif.
Joe Bob
What happened to the first one?
vortrex
mikez,

on a side note a bunch of people on the japan club site were looking for side scripts, maybe you have a market there??
johnlush
I've got an old Roland CAMM-1 that just keeps plugging along. Takes 24" media although I think the max. cutt-able width is ~18". You looking for one to buy and do your own thing or sub it out to someone?
Joe Bob
Whatever...my old supplier is in jail.....can't get him to do work while in the "can".....so I am looking for either a good deal on a poltter or someone to do them for me.....I lost all my computer artwork so I have rebuild from scratch.
johnlush
I'm sure you could find several sources (including me) to sub out to. Is there any copyright problem with reproducing the carrera script? Hopefully that's not why your current "cutter" is in the can! laugh.gif Like most projects, a majority of the effort is in the preparation - do you have anything to go by for artwork? Prints, samples, etc.? I use Adobe Illustrator to create vector art so having something convertable to that or scan-able sure helps...
Joe Bob
"Carrera" is in the public domain.....when I was buying...I bought 50 at a time. He did not have the contacts that I did nor did he go to the P-car swaps and races like it did...

More than likely I will probably take the plunge and buy a plotter....just pisses me off that I lost all my artwork for my other stuff that "I" made up....I let him keep iton his computer because he had a Mac and the software was incompatible with my Windows box....
MattR
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 8 2004, 06:32 PM)
What happened to the first one?

It was a small 12" cutter, just a table top unit we used to get by. I think we still have it, but I'd have to check.
johnlush
That does suck about losing all of your artwork... Any chance of getting cousin Guido to laying claim to his 'puter while he's indisposed? Lots of us Mac guys here who could help you get the data copied.

Ultimately having your own cutter would be best. Not sure what all is available for software. That's what I ran into on the Mac side. I use an old application called EPSI which works well, but because of the age, needs an old Mac with an ancient OS. Fortunately(?) I'm up to my eyeballs in those.

PM me if you want to discuss any of this. Good Luck!
skline
Hey Mike, I got one but its old and is only a 16" cutter/plotter. I do however have a friend of mine up in LA that sells and sevrvices all makes or these things. You may want to get in contact with him, he would make you a better deal I am sure than buying retail and he may even help you out with software and your fonts. He has been doing it for about 20 years and is factory trained. PM me and I will find his info.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 8 2004, 08:47 PM)
I let him keep iton his computer because he had a Mac and the software was incompatible with my Windows box....

I just got to ask what software? He couldn't provide you will an Illustrator EPS file of the Carrera script? Seems very suspect to me.

As an artist and graphic designer my life revolves around working with files that are 100% cross platform compatible. Approx. 50% of my clients are using Windows, 50% of my clients using Macs, and about 90% of the service providers using macs. (printers, package companies, billboard companies, screen printers, animation studios, film studios, etc.). I want my client experience to be seamless, the last thing I want is to create something they can't use or look at.

I have been using Macs exclusively since 1988 and see absolutely no reason why any professional should not be able to provide his/her clients with 100% compatible files.
seanery
yup, I've got both, can share everything between them. The only caveat (sp?) would be if he did all the design work in a proprietary cutting program which in my opinion isn't smart. I do all my creative in Photoshop and Illustrator, therefore it can just about anywhere.
skline
Hey Mike, Here is the guys information. Give him a call and see what he says. Tell him I told you to call. Tell him you are a friend of mine. Also, your parts are in the back of my truck still and it is over at the dealer still being worked on. They have had it since last Wednesday. I was hoping to hear back from them yesterday.
The Plotter Doctor
Jim Partin @ (562) 706-9553 , Fax (562) 633-9949 or E-Mail (jdpartin@flash.net)
Joe Bob
Well since the little fudpucker is in jail...kinda hard to go over and pound on his Moms house and say....hey gimmeymyshit so I can buy my own plotter and cut his assoutta da loop....little pissant is like 40 and still living at Moms.... blink.gif
seanery
is his mom hot? huh.gif
MattR
If he's 40 years old, his mom is at LEAST in her late 50s.
Joe Bob
:finger2:

Got a mouth that won't shaddup....

SKLINE....PM me your phone number....I might be heading down that way this weekend...
Chris914n6
My buddy has one he wants to let go of. I think he said it was a 15" Roland, but haven't been by to see it. Has software but don't know what kind. He's not a computer person....

I bought a 24" from signwarehouse.com many years ago. Still going good but I rarely use it now-a-days.

I've always gone from CorelDraw to a .dfx file into the plotter program. I've never had a trace program I liked so I still do it all by hand. I would have offered to cut it if you had artwork. I got a bunch of stock just collecting dust.

Chris
Joe Bob
My research finds that most of the good vinyl rolls are 24 and 30 inchers.....so if you feel inclined.....I would be interested if you wanted to sell it.....of course any work YOU needed would be done at "such a deal"..... cool.gif
skline
PM sent Mike. Should be around all weekend working on the car. Still dont have my truck back yet but they should have it done before then. If not, I will go get the stuff out of it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 9 2004, 08:08 PM)
PM sent Mike. Should be around all weekend working on the car. Still dont have my truck back yet but they should have it done before then. If not, I will go get the stuff out of it.

an not even gonna hang with all the 914 folks for the fun run sad.gif
kafermeister
Hey Mike, we have a Roland SX-15 from their Stika line. It accepts media of 15" with a cutable width of 13.38". Total cutable length is 39". It was cheap as cutters go. Somewhere just north of $700 over a year ago.

Roland cutters have been known to have issues with tracking on large jobs. With our little cutter, we rarely run into anything like this. Roland tracking issues are generally attached to the bigger machines. The Summa seems to be a quality device. I've heard that it doesn't run into tracking issues like some of the Rolands. Our next cutter/plotter will be at least 24".

As for buying media in 24" or bigger, our primary supplier (Cincinnati Sign Supply) will cut to any width we want. We have a 4' roll cut down to 15" sections at no extra charge.

HTH
Rick
skline
QUOTE(acox914 @ Nov 9 2004, 07:12 PM)

What do you want me to do? If I brought my truck out there it would make you all feel bad that I could beat you in the curves and all the way around. I dont want you guys to get discouraged with your cars.
seanery
scott, I may call your buddy, is that ok?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(acox914 @ Nov 9 2004, 07:12 PM)

When and where? I could probably bring down one of the P-cars....my daughter is not coming down with me.
seanery
mike, nailed thread at top of main garage page.

Hey, would you be interested in buying my nearly new cutter?

I'm contemplating getting a cutter/printer.
Joe Bob
Sure....email me with details please....

356@cox.net
seanery
Scott,
I talked to your guy today. I'll be sticking with cutting only for a while, even used those printer/cutter suckers are big bucks!
Joe Bob
OK....ready to buy....anyone wanna sell?
skline
Did ya call my friend and see what he has?
Joe Bob
Yup...waiting on an email response....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.