Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lunar Eclipse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Get your butt outside!!! The moon is going away!!!
Qarl
AHHHHHHHHH... We're all gonna die! Everyone run and hide.... the moon disappeared. The Gods must be angry.

Actually, I looked at it a few minutes ago... All gone, just a faint disc in the sky. Pretty neat!

Nighty night!
Qarl
Actually, if you get your BUTT ourside, the MOON will actually be appearing...

Full moon that is!

Ha!

Regards,

Karl
ChrisReale
Its cloudy up here/...... mad.gif
ThinAir
Isn't it always cloudy in Seattle?? Clear skies here in AZ and quite a sight in the sky!
EdwardBlume
Checking in on the action........ Astronomers must be patient folks!!! huh.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Here I ran out an took a picture for you guys....
Bleyseng
another
ChrisReale
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ May 15 2003, 09:43 PM)
Isn't it always cloudy in Seattle?? Clear skies here in AZ and quite a sight in the sky!

finger.gif
LOL!
ThinAir
Sorry Chris - I just couldn't resist! It was actually sunny the day we left Seattle and we had great weather all the way until just south of Portland.
Bleyseng
Is it clear enough to take a F'in picture in AZ? I think not!!

Seattle, cool, clear, light wind, and it was SUNNY today. Drove Blair up to Three Tree Point to get GTI parts, good stuff like 2 good door handles, window cranks, h2O temp gauge, a shift knob and what ever we could fit in out pockets.
Geoff
That pic was taken with a Nikon 5000 on a tripod.
ThinAir
Well... actually it is quite clear enough to take a picture. I just didn't happen to do it. Here at 7,000 feet we've got such clear air & so little atmosphere that we've got Lowell Observatory right in town.
Mike T
Here's another website I like to check out.

http://www.badastronomy.com/

The BBS is entertaining.

Mike T.
Bleyseng
Yep, I was there last year and went and did the tour and looked at some far away stars. I liked the city alot! Shopped at the little stores downtown, took pics of the train and stayed in a B&B. I couldn't get Monique out of one store there for about 2 hours! I was bored big time. We ate a nice place too but I can't remember the name. I liked Flagstaff better than Phoenix although I enjoyed meeting Brad Anders and talking Djet for 2 hrs!
Monique and I are planning to return and stay at the Biltmore in Phoenix, the hotel designed by Frank Loyld Wright. I liked Sedona alot too with the red rocks. Did some hiking in the heat there!!
Geoff
nealnorlack
I'de like to go out and see the eclipse but it's still daylight up here in Anchorage. confused24.gif
Cheers, Elliot
ThinAir
> I'd like to go out and see the eclipse but it's still daylight up here in Anchorage. confused24.gif

Gee... and to think the folks here in Flagstaff complain about light polution. Now Anchorage... they got light polution!
MarkV
We have light pollution ordinances down here in Southern Arizona. There are three observatories w/in 25 miles. Very very dark. ph34r.gif
Jenny
Geoff, great pics. Thanks for sharing!
I brought Snoopy out and we howled at the moon together. cool.gif

Jen
need4speed
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ May 15 2003, 08:45 PM)
Checking in on the action........ Astronomers must be patient folks!!! huh.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

you have no idea.

(actually, that's why I've kind of given up on the backyard astronomy).
Not only do you have to be patient, but you have to be a masochist who does not need sleep as well. Sitting for 4 hours waiting to see something, anything, in a fairly vigorous meteor shower is one thing. Sitting for 4 hours between 11pm and 3am, when it's 30 degrees outside and you have to get up for work at 5:30 is quite another. It's a brand of insanity I reckon I've been cured of by now.

I can't even imagine these guys who spend upwards of $10k on a telescope, and sit around every night for months, spending upwards of $500 a night on photographic plates, trying to discover the next comet or asteroid that turns out to be a stray Russian booster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.