Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Gremlins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
er, not MY tail lights, my car's tail lights.

I'm trying to get my car up to "roadworthy" conditions. I just purchased it and the PO didn't inform me of the electrical gremlins.

So, I have a weird electric problem:

When I switch off the ignition, if I "accidentally" activate the left turn signals, the right rear tail lights light up, and stay on.

Also, when I was testing the hazard lights, a funny thing happens. The left and right lights do not light up at the same time. They light up in alternating patterns... so it's kind of a fun show... and it reminds me of a few too many late nights with red lights shining in my rear view mirror.

I'm guessing I might need new relays but before I go spending money on 3-4 relays, I'd like to get more input.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Carlos
ematulac
Sounds like you picked up a fun car. laugh.gif

First check to make sure the transmission ground strap is in place and that the contacts are clean.

Second, check for short ciruits.

I'm wondering if your hazards were intentionally wired to do that. unsure.gif

I can feel for ya ... I finally got rid of all my electrical gremlins this weekend.

Ed
Series9
Check all the grounds in the back of the car. I've seen some very strange tail light behavior with bad grounds.
Tab914
Hey Carlos!

First the part where you accidentaly hit the turn signal with the ignition off and the lights go on; that is actually not a problem, they are supposed to do that. They act as parking lights.

As for your other problem make sure that you check the wirring diagrams again and also make sure that you have all the right sort of bulbs in the right slots.

Hope that helps a little. smile.gif
Carlitos Way
So... where do the grounds "ground" to?

I'll take a look at the engine compartment stuff tonight if I have any light left when I get home.

C.
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like someone has changed a headlight switch, and screwed it up. I "think" all the lights run thru the switch. I've seen a few this way.
Check the wiring diagram and make sure all wires are connected to the proper terminal
Series9
Your rear lights ground on a stud under your relay panel in the engine compartment.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tab914 @ Nov 8 2004, 05:28 PM)
First the part where you accidentaly hit the turn signal with the ignition off and the lights go on; that is actually not a problem, they are supposed to do that. They act as parking lights.

agree.gif blinkers can be used as parking lights with the ignition off.
move the lever down, the drivers side front and back blinker should illuminate,
move the lever up, the pass. side front and back blinker should illuminate.

it's a "feature" ...
cool.gif Andy
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(cmolina @ Nov 8 2004, 05:07 PM)
When I switch off the ignition, if I "accidentally" activate the left turn signals, the right rear tail lights light up, and stay on.

Still sounds like something is miswired. If one connection is miswired, then another one must be also. If two, maybe four?
bob174
agree.gif Went through this with a 914 about 15 years ago. Car had been repainted and when they reinstalled the tail lights, miswired them. Caused flakey bahavior like you describe.
DJsRepS
Drivers side rear trunk hinge digs into the harness factory defect I guess. How many times have you laid across this hinge working on the motor?? Pics of mine.
DJsRepS
the three nicks through the paint middle of hinge (bad lighting) are from tail harness wires. Next pic more evedince? of trouble and cure
DJsRepS
there are three lines on the body as well top line rusted through paint.
DJsRepS
hope that helped just found and fixed this last week. The same harness has three or more 30+yr dried out gromets through metal panels etc. Run the spiral wrap through these or even better replace them slit them wrap them around harness tuck them in and dab of Gorilla glue best glue ever!
Carlitos Way
Many thanks to those of you who have posted responses. I have plenty of work to keep me busy this week, so I won't be tackling this job until Saturday, if all goes well.

In the meantime, if you should think of something else, please don't hesitate to contribute. Remember, I'm still a newbie and I'm dying to DRIVE my 914!!!

Carlos
Carl
Sounds like the wires are crossed. The first place I'd look is the light switch in the dash or the flasher.

C
Carlitos Way
OK... so I got a little chance to play this afternoon and this is what I found:

IF I activate the turn signals, while the car is running, the left side front seems fine, but the other three are dim.

I also noticed that the problem I am having with the tail lights seems to be limited to when the lights are on.

In other words, when the lights are on, they flash alternating from side to side. Fronts and rears are synchronized, meaning LF + LR flash together, but when they go off, then the RR flashes, and vice versa.

Then, I also noticed that, although I've replaced all the bulbs, the lights on the RR, LR and RF are somewhat dim, which I'm guessing is a faulty ground. But I don't understand why that ground is so different. Guess I'll be checking more into that this weekend.

I did check the wiring harnesses and they seem fine. They are WELL out of the way. Only thing I didn't do is remove the relay cover, as I am afraid I'm going to need a new one... PO ar15.gif sorta overtightened it at one point... and it's cracked.

ANy thoughts or suggestions?
Carlitos Way
It's fixed!!!
This, and a few other gremlins were fixed over the long weekend.

To make a long story short, one of the wires inside the turn signal housing was reversed. This created a short whenever the turn signals were activated, which killed the ignition immediately.

Part two of the story goes like this. In addition to that, the DAPO had removed the side marker lights and replaced them with reflectors. one of the sides had no wiring to it. The other... you guessed it. The two wires for the side marker were touching.

So... now that I've lost my hair, I can go ahead and start letting it grow back.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys for your help... and my friends who came out to help me. I couldn't have done it without some help.

Now all I need to fix is the darn reverse lights.. That one should be much easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.