Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is "Bump?"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
Excuse my ignorance. I am new to 914 World. But what does it mean to "bump" a topic/thread and how do you do it? I am assuming it's something you can do to renew a topic that has "fallen off" the current page?

Also, I have my car up for sale in the classifieds. Is there any way I can periodically renew the ad so it is seen as other ads are added over time?
billh1963
By typing "bump" into a reply it moves to the top

Like it just did when I replied.....
tumamilhem
What moves to the top? Yours is the only reply, so I'm not sure I get it. Let me see...

bump
tumamilhem
My reply didn't go to the top of anything. It's the last reply. Not sure I get it.
mittelmotor
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 28 2012, 06:58 PM) *

My reply didn't go to the top of anything. It's the last reply. Not sure I get it.

But it's the most recent reply...it'll bring the whole thread back up to the top of the list, so more folks will see it.

Try another post, then click on 914World Garage. Voila, it'll be first!!
tumamilhem
Yeah, but that happens anyway whenever you make a reply to a thread. I was adding icons to my classified ad just to bring it back up to the top of the page. No bump needed. So still not sure what it does. confused24.gif
mittelmotor
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 28 2012, 07:06 PM) *

Yeah, but that happens anyway whenever you make a reply to a thread. I was adding icons to my classified ad just to bring it back up to the top of the page. No bump needed. So still not sure what it does. confused24.gif

It's a "Bump" post that doesn't necessarily add any info to the thread. The purpose is to bring it back to the top for more exposure.
URY914
bump
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
CG-914
icon_bump.gif

If you are too lazy to write anything else but this!
billh1963
Get it, yet? lol-2.gif
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif $hit... My reply is at the bottom too!! huh.gif

Andy... Can you fix this?
NORD

Here is a free bump
championgt1
to the top! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 28 2012, 08:43 PM) *

icon_bump.gif $hit... My reply is at the bottom too!! huh.gif

Andy... Can you fix this?

Wut? confused24.gif

There's no way (thankfully) to rearrange the order of posts within a thread.

A icon_bump.gif post simply *bumps* the thread you posted in back to the top of the thread list in a forum.

A post will always be added to the end of a thread. Always ...
chowtime.gif
euro911
Some people just type BUMP,

Some just add the emoticon: icon_bump.gif

Some simply type TTT (to the top)

... and some get creative: BUMP
Gint
I don't want to run another guy off in less than a week, Maybe it's been two... screwy.gif

How about this:
Any reply is a bump, regardless what the reply says or contains. Putting the word bump in your reply or a icon_bump.gif emoticon is just common practice when the specific intent of said reply is to bump a thread to the top of a forum listing.
scotty b
this is not a bump
MDG
bye1.gif

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 29 2012, 01:01 AM) *

I don't want to run another guy off in less than a week, Maybe it's been two... screwy.gif

This is all in good fun.

Let's hope he is not that sensitive.

Oh, and btw..... icon_bump.gif

lol-2.gif
tumamilhem

How about this:
Any reply is a bump, regardless what the reply says or contains. Putting the word bump in your reply or a icon_bump.gif emoticon is just common practice when the specific intent of said reply is to bump a thread to the top of a forum listing.

Okay thank you for the explaination. That's what I figured but I thought there was a specific reaction to it, though it's the same as any reply. I suppose this thread will be bumped forever now. You guys have a bumping personalities!

I wanted to renew the ad for my car without being obnoxious. Instead of "bump" I "bumped" it with a new picture of it and my new one together, looking shiny and sweet. smile.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 29 2012, 07:25 AM) *

This is all in good fun.

Let's hope he is not that sensitive.

Oh, and btw..... icon_bump.gif

lol-2.gif

Hey, icon_bump.gif you, buddy! bootyshake.gif lol
URY914
bump you too evilgrin.gif
SUNAB914
headbang.gif icon_bump.gif This is called a headbanging bump!
tumamilhem
hahaha
tumamilhem
This is a sheep bump aka lambhandle sheeplove.gif

lol-2.gif
ArtechnikA
And here all this time I thought it meant the suspension movement that carried the wheel 'up' from its 'at rest' position, as opposed to the motion that carries the wheel 'down' which is called 'droop.'

Possibly complicated by the additional aero effects when the headlights are raised, known as 'things that go bump in the night.' Or possibly not...
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif

Damnit Andy... my posts are still at the bottom! mad.gif
7TPorsh
huh?
JamesM
Bump! Bump! Bump!

...Did you ever ride a Wump? We have a Wump with just one hump. But we know a man called Mr. Gump. Mr. Gump has a seven hump Wump. So…if you like to go Bump! Bump! just jump on the hump of the Whump of Gump.

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere

Ill add some Porsche content while I am here... sort of
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

PanelBilly
pmuB

I just need to be different some days
mittelmotor
From Wikipedia:

When a member posts in a thread for no reason but to have it go to the top, it is referred to as a bump or bumping. It has been suggested that "bump" is an acronym of "bring up my post";[17] however, this is almost certainly[original research?] a backronym and the usage is entirely consistent with the verb "bump" which means "to knock to a new position".[18]
messix
beerchug.gif better
URY914
Bump from page 2 to page 1. beer.gif
Just adding to my post count here but is new info...SOT tho

(1) To SNIFFF any kind of drug. You can bump anything from medicine to Coke, K to Keef, Oxy to E. It applies to all pills, and all alphabet drugs.

(2) To play any type of musiq you listening louder. To turn it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.