Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS banana muffler prep.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all....I was lucky enough to find a NOS muffler for my 74 2.0 liter. It was pretty much right in my own back yard too!!! Anyway, it has scratched up grey paint on it, as well as the part number on it and the original sticker. I'm wondering what is the best way to prep it for use? It looks like ceramic coating will be too expensive. I have not had very good success with VHT paint in the past. I have not tried BBQ paint but have heard mixed reviews.
What do you guys think?
Happy holidays,
Mike
tod914
From what I seen at a car show last year, a pca member used the Eastwood Stainless Steel High Temp Coating 10178Z on his 911 muffler. It seems be as close as you will find to the oem color finish. At some point I want to put that on top of my Cerikote finish. Let me know if you decide to give it a try. I likely won't test it out till the Spring time.
Tom_T
I'd found an NOS Leistritz banana a while back with similar shelf wear too, as well as a nice used SSI SS HE/Exausht set for my 73 914-2.0's resto (although I may pop for a fresh SSI or Dansk SS repop of them) which I've been thinking of also painting to match the OE color.

That Eastwood SS paint sounds like it'll handle both the SS in the HE's/Flanges & mild steel of the muffler, and be close to the original color - which I've found to actually be a range of light to medium grey on various factory parts painted as such.

So I'll be watching how you & Tod handle yours, so please post your results here &/or in O&H! biggrin.gif

PS - Stoddards NLA in OH used to sell a color correct Wurth exhaust paint, so you might also contact them directly & see if they can get some more from Wurth (AFAIK it's not on their NLA website store anymore).
gothspeed
I will be having a factory 2.0 Muffler available soon, it has been sand blasted. I will be fixing a couple weak spots then it will be ready to go. I was thinking of a high temp 2000°F black. I have used it in the past with great results.
turk22
I missed out on the used Leistritz banana muffler on ebay a few days ago.

Still looking for one.

but will be interested to see what others do to prep them prior to installation.

I've been looking at the Dansk ones as well, but its a lotta money...
Tom_T
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 29 2012, 02:20 PM) *

I will be having a factory 2.0 Muffler available soon, it has been sand blasted. I will be fixing a couple weak spots then it will be ready to go. I was thinking of a high temp 2000°F black. I have used it in the past with great results.

I think they were asking about the original flat or satin grey color, so let them know if the same HT paint is available in that color too.

Here's my Leistritz 2.0 Banana for OE color FYI -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
MikeM
Hi Tom....mine looks exactly like yours. Same color.
I'd like to paint mine black I think. My car is black so it might disappear a little.
Any black paint that won't burn off in 5 minutes???
Mike
Cap'n Krusty
Welding supply shops sell a cold galvanizing paint that's a dead ringer for the stock color and texture. Seems to stick well.

The Cap'n
gothspeed
QUOTE(MikeM @ Dec 29 2012, 03:47 PM) *

Hi Tom....mine looks exactly like yours. Same color.
I'd like to paint mine black I think. My car is black so it might disappear a little.
Any black paint that won't burn off in 5 minutes???
Mike

If you get exhaust paint rated at 2000°F it will not burn off. There are several colors available at Autozone.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 29 2012, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 29 2012, 02:20 PM) *

I think they were asking about the original flat or satin grey color, so let them know if the same HT paint is available in that color too.

Here's my Leistritz 2.0 Banana for OE color FYI -

popcorn[1].gif
Yes, I am pretty sure there is a light grey similar to your stock finish. As long as it is 2000°F temp rated it will hold up smile.gif
euro911
I have one that needs new paint too.

I'll be watching what you guys end up doing too popcorn[1].gif
Bartlett 914
I may have picked up the last NOS banana muffler on the planet. It will need paint. So those that were also asking about the paint, what did you use and wow did it work out?
MikeM
Haven't painted mine yet. Still winter up here...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.