Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay someone tell me this..?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I have been looking around for some engines to put into my teener and I have been getting some okay responses.

A few are selling "Long blocks". I thought a long block is an engine that is missing the intake and exhaust systems, is this correct?

Is it common to say you have a "Running long block engine for sale" huh.gif huh.gif A running engine to me means a running engine., nothing else needed.

Cheers
propricer
What's the difference between a small block and a big block?
How about a short block and a long block?
Short Block: An engine WITHOUT the head(s). Usually includes the crankshaft, camshaft, and pistons.

Long Block: An engine WITH the head(s). Usually does not include the oil pan, valve covers, and manifolds.
nebreitling
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Nov 8 2004, 06:52 PM)
Is it common to say you have a "Running long block engine for sale" huh.gif huh.gif

i would assume that means that the engine was running before they removed the intake, exhaust, FI/carbs, engine tin, clutch, flywheel, etc.
i love porsche
ooohh..ok i get it now tooo...
Mark Henry
Not quite right.....this isn't a chevy.

Longblock is the bare engine with heads, valve cover to valve cover and nothing else. No tin (except under cyl. tin), fan, intake, exhaust, etc. Has the flywheel but no PP or disc.

Shortblock is the same as a longblock except no heads, valve train, pushrod tubes or piston and cylinders....just the bottom end.

No oil pan on a /4 or /6 and most VW aircooled longblocks do include the valve covers, at least mine do.
DJsRepS
I know Advanced / Discount auto parts short block v8 has no heads just crank and cam and lifters pistons rings bearings etc.... Long block heads and valve train rockers pushrods etc... both have no intake or exaust not even valve covers sometimes.
Kerrys914
Thanks guys..

I just thought it was funny to say a RUNNING long block for sale. huh.gif I guess it really wasn't that funny laugh.gif

Cheers beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.