Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio refurbishment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking for some recommendations to have my radio refurbished? One source tells me this is a Blaupunkt Emden and another source claims it is a Motorola Saphire. What do you guys think?

Click to view attachment

Thanks

David
bembry
Hers'a link to a guy on the Samba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.p...le&u=175954

I don't know anything about him other than he posted his services there and it looked reasonable.

I sent my Blaupunkt to a guy in Sacramento (at a radio shop that supposedly specializes in older stuff), and all I got was a year of sporadic bullshit about how is was really hard to fix, and then he wanted to know if I wanted to get it back with only FM working, or if I wanted the guts swapped out for modern components. If I wanted a half-ass working radio, I would have said so. Ditto to modern stuff in the old shell. WTF. I got a period correct Becker from a guy on Samba and told this joker to junk the Blaupunkt--I didn't want it back.
wndsnd
Here are a couple. I have not tried them, or have any direc knowledge of their work.

http://www.woodyscustomshop.com/

http://dandmrestoration.com/radio-repair

Good Luck!
Harpo
Anyone else have a recommendation?
MDG
Here's the Sapphire that's in my '73; it's listed on the original bill of sale so it's what that dealership was installing then. BTW - it has Motorola labels on the back of it.

Click to view attachment
Harpo
Thanks MGD,

Do you by chance have any photos of the radio out of the car? I'm looking for a number on the R/H side of the radio. Mine reads 1PE20.

David
MDG
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 31 2012, 12:15 PM) *

Thanks MGD,

Do you by chance have any photos of the radio out of the car?

David

Somewhere - I'll dig them up and post - check back later.
MDG
Sorry - I thought I had pics of the Sapphire out of the car but they are of the Frankfurt from my other one.

FYI - the Sapphire was manufactured by both Motorola and Bendix.
jim_hoyland
Woody's has a good reputation. GE sets up a booth at the annual Porsche swap meet in Anaheim. He may be located in Costa Mesa, CA
Harpo
Thanks for checking MGD
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 31 2012, 09:15 AM) *

Thanks MGD,

Do you by chance have any photos of the radio out of the car? I'm looking for a number on the R/H side of the radio. Mine reads 1PE20.

David

The owner's manual for my MOTOROLA radio (which looks exactly like yours) shows part #68P43316A08-0(IPE20). Thw installation instructions is also a MOTOROLA item.

Paul
Mark Henry
The radio is whatever the dealer sold...mine was a Audiovox POS.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 1 2013, 08:06 PM) *

The radio is whatever the dealer sold...mine was a Audiovox POS.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.