Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid opens randomly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rex66m
Anybody have this issue? Birmingham roads are a bit rough - drove the car today (it loves cold weather) and the lid popped open several times. Is there a quick fix? tks
ConeDodger
Yes, if you take a look at it, you will see it has some adjustment. That should take care of your problem. biggrin.gif
sfrenck
The "hook" on the engine lid can be moved around if you loosen the nut that holds it. Make small adjustments so that you don't end up getting the lid stuck in the closed position.
stugray
Adjustment is easy, but it could also be pointing to a flexing issue.

Does the car have a lot of rust in the rear susp & Longerons area?

Stu
rex66m
QUOTE(rex66m @ Dec 29 2012, 06:47 PM) *

Anybody have this issue? Birmingham roads are a bit rough - drove the car today (it loves cold weather) and the lid popped open several times. Is there a quick fix? tks

Will try the hook - lengthening it a bit, I guess.

Should not be a flex issue - rust is is very minor.

Thanks!
Rand
Never think you don't have a flex issue, and never think you don't have serious rust. Rust in never minor. The more you look for it the scarier it gets.... So look for it sooner than later.

Hopefully it's just a simple reposition of the latch hook in your case. Not lengthen, but adjust position.
rex66m
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 29 2012, 07:59 PM) *

Never think you don't have a flex issue, and never think you don't have serious rust. Rust in never minor. The more you look for it the scarier it gets.... So look for it sooner than later.

Hopefully it's just a simple reposition of the latch hook in your case. Not lengthen, but adjust position.

Got a pretty extensive ppi from a porsche mechanic, never take it out in the rain. not saying it does not have rust, but based upon what I've seen here, it is paltry by comparison (surface rust in the hell hole, front trunk seal area, and battery tray - latter two have been ground and treated). Longs look AOK.

Will work on the hook position. thanks.
rex66m
QUOTE(rex66m @ Dec 29 2012, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 29 2012, 07:59 PM) *

Got a pretty extensive ppi from a porsche mechanic, never take it out in the rain. not saying it does not have rust, but based upon what I've seen here, it is paltry by comparison (surface rust in the hell hole, front trunk seal area, and battery tray - latter two have been ground and treated). Longs look AOK.

Will work on the hook position. thanks.

That was easy...moved the hook to point a bit toward the rear right - now closes with some conviction. No more multiple tries to close. Thanks all.
Dave_Darling
Cool, glad it was an easy fix. In my case, the L-brackets on the firewall had cracked and the engine lid was moving around as the brackets flexed.

Another instance (with much more obvious symptoms) was when the motor mounts sheared. (Oops--don't use an hydraulic jack to support the back of the engine overnight; it can sag.) The whole car would shake--WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!--when accelerating strongly in 1st or 2nd. It was the whole drivetrain bouncing up and down on the engine bar. That would pop the engine lid open too...

--DD
914Bryan
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 29 2012, 03:42 PM) *

Adjustment is easy, but it could also be pointing to a flexing issue.

Does the car have a lot of rust in the rear susp & Longerons area?

Stu

Talking about a flexing issue. My lid would pop open when I would make a hard accelerating right turn. All the adjustments and fiddling in the world with the latch didn't work.

While chasing a separate problem of a sloppy shifter, I replaced all the shifter bushings and engine/tranny mounts.

Turns out, after replacing the mounts, it solved my hood popping problem. Lord knows what was going on inside that engine compartment before the fix blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.