Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New favorite tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
After swapping tires the "old fashioned way" for a year I'd had enough. I just got my new 240 ft-lb CORDLESS impact wrench. All I can say is this rocks for taking stuff apart. Short work of those gnarly suspension bolts that are torqued to 8 zillion ft-lbs. as well as the lug nuts. This replaces the creeper as my favorite tool tongue.gif

Have fun,
Kevin

Check it out:
ThinAir
Kinda amazing when you think of how whimpy cordless screwdrivers were a few years ago when they first started hitting the market. Quite an improvement when you can use cordless for an impact!
L8Apex
who makes that and how much?

my favorite tool is smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Mike9142.0
How mutch? Who sell's it.
anthony
Electric impact wrenches work well too and are probably a bit cheaper.
kdfoust
It's a Milwaukee model 9079-22. Price? Take a deep breath, breath slowly, ready? ~$350.

Yeah, I remember those piece o crap cordless drills. This thing is heavy: ya gotta have the strength of ten men just to pick it up biggrin.gif On a price per pound basis it's probably cheaper than a $60 cordless drill.

Have fun,
Kevin
Mike9142.0
My Snap on Tool dealer tryed to sell me one when thay first came out, it was about $480. But that thing would take the lug nut's off of his tool truck.
Lawrence
Really cool. I'll wait until they drop another hundred bucks. Is it adjustable (the amount of torque)?

Is there any nut on a 914 that's more than 240 pounds? I don't think so.

Hmm.. thanks for sharing this!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 16 2003, 04:16 AM)
Really cool. I'll wait until they drop another hundred bucks. Is it adjustable (the amount of torque)?

Is there any nut on a 914 that's more than 240 pounds? I don't think so.

Hmm.. thanks for sharing this!

There sure is!!! And they have the same nick-name as you do! wink.gif

I have an air impact gun, high end, cost about the same as that one.
I think it has something like 600+ ft/lbs. I never torque anything on with it. ohmy.gif
kdfoust
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 16 2003, 04:16 AM)
[snip]Is it adjustable (the amount of torque)?[snip]

No torque adjustment other than how long you let it hammer on a bolt. I'm pretty much a torque-wrench-set-to-factory-specs for putting stuff back together kind of guy. So like Mark, I doubt if I ever use it to tighten anything on the car.

Have fun,
Kevin
anthony
Here's my new favorite:

IPB Image

It does 600 foot pounds in reverse and has adjustable forward torque settings. The best thing is that it was only $100 off ebay (new in box).
Joe Bob
Just bought the De Walt 14.4 volt model on ebay....239.00 shipped.
72Signal914
Hey Anthony good buy on that Impact wrench

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...toolsD_main.htm

almost got 1/2 off clap56.gif
si2t3m
My favorite tool?

a 2.50$ part!!! It's an adaptor for a cordless drill that enables you to install 3/8 sockets on it.

Got tired of removing and installing the lug nuts by hand. Now i just untorque, take the cordless drill to them with a 19mm socket, and they are off.

Ok not as fast as a F1 pitstop tire change but pretty close!!!

Marc-André
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.