Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repro Center Caps for Alloys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Bought some reproduction center caps for the 914 Alloys (mine are Mahle's), they are ISP brand available at: vwispwest.com. They look great and are made of thicker metal so they won't dent but I am having trouble getting them to go on since they are friction fit like originals but don't give as much. Does anyone have a solution maybe cut 3 vertical slits into the sleeve so there is some give. Let me know if you have installed these on your car. Thanks!
Socalandy
I had some, they told me to use WD40 and a rubber mallet. Worked great but have tires and balance done first.
914Sixer
Seems like someone got a piece of plastic pipe the diameter of the lip and slipped it over the center and popped in on with a rubber hammer.
reharvey
I had to cut six slits into mine to get them on without using a sledge hammer. Ray
Gint

You're not the first guy that I've heard about having issues with those caps fitting.

Didn't Mikey914 make a run of repro center caps? Seems like a I bought a set. Don't know where they are, and haven't tried them yet.
76-914
I have Mikey's and had to cut slits, also. They fit tighter than bark on a tree and look nice.
Mikey914
Mine come with the slits cut into them. You may want to check the clearance on the front caps you bought I heard they too had issues with fitment on the front wheels. I solved this problem, hopefully they did too.
bigkensteele
I have Mark's on my Mahles, and they look great! To me, the satin finish looks much better than the original.

Mine were very tight, so I had to use a rubber mallet. I think that this is partially due to the fact that my wheels have been painted at least once. Someday, I plan to take them off and sand the inside of the center holes to make the caps fit better.
JawjaPorsche
Got mine from Mark. Put some grease on the wheel hole and had no problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.