Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater blower fan outlets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Gents,
I have a VERY original '73 1.7 that I am just now able to give some attention to. I wandered to the "dark side" of the forum (Originality biggrin.gif ) and noticed a lot of great engine bay pics. A lot of them have a "dual outlet" heater fan in the engine compartment that has plastic tubes going to both sides of the engine. On mine, it is mounted on the driver's side engine shelf and only has a single plastic tube that stays on the engine side of the compartment.

Can yall school me on what year models/engine sizes/options determined the heater fan setup and if mine is correct or not?

Thanks!
76-914
IIRC, early MY's had single and later MY's had the splitter.
Bruce Hinds
blink.gif I've had 2 '73s, a '74 and ,75 all had single set up.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 30 2012, 10:54 AM) *

blink.gif I've had 2 '73s, a '74 and ,75 all had single set up.

I have a 1971, 1.7L and the blower unit has 2 outlets, with one pipe/flextube piped to each side of the car. I believe my car to be pretty original.
914Sixer
The 70-72 cars had a engine mounted dual blower on the fan housing. The fan was borrowed from the VW 411 and Bus. In 73 the single outlet blower was mounted on the drivers side engine shelf. The power for the early fan was in the engine harness, the later on was in the body harness. Some time in 75 the dual plastic outlet pipe showed up and was used until the end. It was also borrowed from the VW 411. The VW version is white plastic because it was under the front cowl, the 914 version was black plastic.
442nd914s
I read somewhere that early models had single outlet going to the divers side (pre74). The passenger side was caped off. Late models '74 on up had 1 long accordian style (passenger) & 1 plastic hose (drivers). My 1 owner all original '73 2.0 lt was set up with only 1 plastic hose single outlet & passenger side caped off. I changed it to a dual outlet 2 hose set up after reading that 1 outlet may not be enough for defrost. Hot air will NOT come through the dash vents. Only by windshield & feet. Vents are for fresh air coming from front cowl.
Hope this helps. I remember I found it under "heater duct", but for some reason I cant find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.