Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashback Valve on early 1.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
podiummotorsports
I purchased my first 914 about 3 months ago and have been paying lots of attention to the boards and started my restoration of the engine area.

The first thing I am doing is replacing the fuel and vacuum lines. I purchased the fuel and vacuum lines from Auto Atlanta and they have a great kit and diagram but the vacuum diagram that was sent references a Flashback Valve.

My 914 is all original and has not been touched but the hoses that come from the cylinder heads are connected directly with each other. There is no Flashback Valve.

Please let me know if that sounds right. Also by the looks of the diagrams I don't have the outlet from the top of the air cleaner that would also connect to the Flashback Valve.
wingnut86
Add your Vin# to our database if you haven't already beer.gif

And, BTW...

welcome.png
podiummotorsports
Yep took care of that this morning. Figured there is a give and take to the forum and I want to make sure I contribute as much as I receive.
JawjaPorsche
Your teener is a 70? It may be different from mine. I have attached a picture of my 73 1.7 where the cylinder head hoses connect. The hose going straight down with the clamp is from my air cleaner. I have a paper filter air cleaner.

welcome.png
podiummotorsports
Thanks for the reply but mine doesn't have the paper filter. It has an oil air cleaner. I think it is a pretty early version of the 1970 1.7L 914 because looking through the forum I have only found one that has a similar view and I can't see the full shot of the engine compartment. I have PM the guy with the picture but have not heard back yet.
JawjaPorsche
You have come to the right place. We all help each other on this forum. I have learned so much from other owners and I try to help out with my limited knowledge.

Good luck with your teener!

biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Aaron,

First...... welcome.png

Secondly, is your 914 a California emissions car? I've always understood that the emission and vacuum lines differed from 49 state models, even for early production cars.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Aaron,

Do any of these photos look like your engine compartment?
podiummotorsports
Yes your engine area is exactly my engine compartment. Where does your cylinder vents go?
podiummotorsports
do you have a flashback valve. Your car is my dream car. Great job on keeping it stock.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 30 2012, 10:09 PM) *

Aaron,

Do any of these photos look like your engine compartment?

Wow! That engine looks like it just came off the showroom floor! beerchug.gif
podiummotorsports
Neun vierzehn do you have a picture that shows the cylinder head vents? I can't see if you have any kind of catch can for the venting.
Cap'n Krusty
Vented cylinder heads appeared in MY 1973, IIRC. If your heads are vented, they're NOT original.

The Cap'n
podiummotorsports
Ok I think I got to the bottom of it. I want to validate my findings. Lucky for me the previous owner never threw anything away. So back in 1975 the heads were rebuilt on the engine. My guess is when the heads got rebuilt they added the vents to the valve cover. Does anybody know if that was a recommended or common practice?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.