Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off Topic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
If we could hack into this guy's brain....

Mega-Rainman

I just thought it was very interesting.

M
Pnambic
definitely....definitely interesting.... wink.gif
soloracer
From Utah, eh? Isn't there a guy on Jeopardy right now cleaning house on everyone - winning over $100,000? And isn't he also from Utah? Guess those mormons are right.....alcohol does kill brain cells. Since my beer is dry and I'm going to get another one it looks like my quest for Jeopardy supremacy is going to be put on hold for a while. beerchug.gif
GWN7
as explained by Cliff Clavin, of Cheers. One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm.

Here's how it went:
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."
SirAndy
QUOTE(soloracer @ Nov 8 2004, 10:05 PM)
From Utah, eh? Isn't there a guy on Jeopardy right now cleaning house on everyone - winning over $100,000? And isn't he also from Utah?

yupp, he's at over $2 million now and still playing ...

wacko.gif Andy
SirAndy
It is likely that is why Peek has been able to memorize more than 9,000 books

ohmy.gif holy shit!
redshift
I hope I am allowed this one...

9000 copies of "Unfit for Command"

laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif

It's FUNNY! LAUGH!

M
McMark
But can he translate Das Grosse?
redshift
Dewd!

http://world.altavista.com/

Sure he can!

M
Hawktel
He spoke at Weber State U about 8 years ago. It was more like a demonstration of his ability than him speaking. Its almost creepy. The Audiance got to play Stump him on History. I'm a history major, but I can't off the cuff stuff like, what day Lincoln found out he was president, Or recite every known Pharoh of the old kingdom, or list all the emperors of the Jin dynasty. And the relationship of of who suceeded them.

He just works on a different level.
redshift
I notice he wouldn't read fiction before... it's a problem I have with watching TV, I understand the big, dumb, super-mind! I hate lies, about people who never exist... what a waste... how confusing..

Was it Poe, or Ross from friends... who once said...

M
balljoint
Hmmmmm, I also can't dress myself. And my wife is always telling me I have put the dishes away in the wrong spot. Fortunately for me though I also don't have the ability to remember everything I have experienced. Too many embarrassing things that I am happy to forget.
Pnambic
His brain doesn't have separate hemispheres like everyone else. It's just one....big....brain. I remember back in Psych 101 reading about cases where people had portions of their brain damaged either by cancer or by blunt force trauma and the results were absolutely astounding.

For example, one guy's brain wasn't communicating from side to side, so if you showed him a display where his right eye saw an apple and the left eye saw a green piece of paper, and you asked him what he saw, he would say, "apple". If you asked him what color it was, he would say "green". He was completely oblivious to the incongruity of his statements. They explained that its because different areas of the brain control different functions and color recognition was in the right side and shape was left side. blah blah blah...I could be backward on the sides there, it was quite a while ago...

Truely wicked stuff....I wonder if his unique brain makeup is a genetic mutation or a result of his environment (brain damage in the womb)?
idea.gif huh.gif
redshift
I know of someone with I believe 6 acorn sized nodes of uhh... a different density... supposedly damaged from a birth problem, with an IQ of around 160.

The other parts of his brain look normal, but 'muscular'...

idea.gif

like a flared brain..

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.