Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New timing system for AutoX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
We are working to figure out a new timing system for use at AutoX based upon scanners reading a 5X5" (or larger) bar code stuck to the side of the car.

Please try this test and tell me what happens.

Next time your at Home Depot use the self check out line. When you scan your items move them just as fast as you can left to right.

Please post the result.

I was surprise how it worked.

Thanks.

PS I don't have the pricing yet, but the scanners we are looking at work up to 15 feet away, so that should work for an AutoX course.
Jenny
laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm picturing all the 914s grinding between reverse and first trying to get their damn cars to scan. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Jen
redshift
Same thing used for gate security around here.... I mean besides the gate dood with a sawed off... what's that... telephone..

smilie_pokal.gif JENNY!

roflmao

M
SLITS
biggrin.gif Would it also price the car too?
Randal
Jen,

Actually somehow I can't imagine you at Home Depot, and Nordstrom's doesn't do self check out, so where do we send you?
scotty914
we have a bridge around baltimore md that uses this system but i have not so i dont know how fast you can go

good luck
Jenny
I've been to Home Depot approximately 100 times more than I have Nordstroms. I think they actually charge you for just looking at their stuff in Nordstrom. I can't afford it, and I'm glad. I like the smell of the lumber section @ Home Depot best. smile.gif

And yes, I have used the self check service. Don't remember how hard it was. They also have those self check stations at most Albertsons, IIRC.

Jen
GWN7
I can see it now, instead of licence plates, you will get bar codes to go on your roof (trunk if it's a convertable) and the scanners will bill you for speeding....... icon8.gif
Randal
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 8 2004, 10:10 PM)
I can see it now, instead of licence plates, you will get bar codes to go on your roof (trunk if it's a convertable) and the scanners will bill you for speeding....... icon8.gif

F1 does the scanning from bridges over the course, also has various places around the course where splits can be registered, so they can get you now or later.
redshift
heh... already happens...

Anyone remember when they first started taking pictures of speeders in Orlando... made a big stink..

I saw a funny guy on TV, said he was on vacation, drove I-4 thru O-town to Tampa, and got a picture in the mail of him speeding passed OBT, and it said for him to send $187.00, so he sent them a picture of $187.00.

laugh.gif

M
kermit
having little bar codes on the side of our cars would look pretty cool. much better than shoe polish on the windshield!!!

Price check, '74 914
What? $2995??

self checkout at Home Depot sucks! I did it once and it took me 10 minutes to check out 3 items. Maybe I'm just stupid sad.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(kermit @ Nov 8 2004, 10:20 PM)
self checkout at Home Depot sucks! I did it once and it took me 10 minutes to check out 3 items. Maybe I'm just stupid sad.gif

I think it's the payment part that takes the longest. I kept trying to give it money before it was ready to accept it.

Jen
redshift
The part that I really can't shake is that in my mind, it's MikeZ trying to get his car to scan, and I wish you could watch it in my head..

Really.

Echo
Randal
[/QUOTE]having little bar codes on the side of our cars would look pretty cool. much better than shoe polish on the windshield!!![QUOTE]

Right, especially those huge ones that Demick puts on the windshield! laugh.gif

But Howard, try the Home Depot test and run it across the scanner as fast as you can and tell me what happens.
nebreitling
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 8 2004, 09:56 PM)
laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm picturing all the 914s grinding between reverse and first trying to get their damn cars to scan. laugh.gif laugh.gif

LMFAO Jenny!! w00t.gif

i f-ing (see miles, it's easy) hate self checkout. so damn frustrating trying to put a large item in the bag so it will weigh it and let you continue.
scotty914
the trick to the HD scanners is the scanner is a scale if you put the item on the scale as you scan it it preweighs it, instead of guessing its weight
kermit
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 8 2004, 10:26 PM)
having little bar codes on the side of our cars would look pretty cool. much better than shoe polish on the windshield!!!

Right, especially those huge ones that Demick puts on the windshield!  :lol:

But Howard, try the Home Depot test and run it across the scanner as fast as you can and tell me what happens.

ok randal, I'll go to Home Depot and give it another shot. Time to stock up on grade 8 hardware, the goldish colored zinc coating is the best!!!!

how about I duct tape some Home Depot merchandise on the side of Kermit and drive as fast as I can throught the checkout? See what kind of bill I end up with - or lawsuit laugh.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(kermit @ Nov 8 2004, 10:54 PM)
how about I duct tape some Home Depot merchandise on the side of Kermit and drive as fast as I can throught the checkout?

Or some nice 2X4s tied to the side! lol2.gif lol2.gif

Jen
bondo
Maybe with the right bar code you could take 20 mph off the reading of a laser speed gun smile.gif
tesserra
Randal,
Wouldn't a FAST TRAC type system (like they use on the bridges) work better. They don't depend on visual.
I know nothing about costs of one system vs the other.
We could even bill people per run. laugh.gif
Now that I thing of it they would not trigger at a precise location. Never mind. confused24.gif

George
Randal
Tesserra,

Yea I think Fast Track is great as well, but like yourself I'm not sure if it's a position scan.

Pretty funny about billing people per run, but we already do that ourselves, i.e., $800 for tires that last 60 minutes, let's see each 60 second run is $13.33 plus, plus, plus, plus...... wacko.gif

Don't forget to try the Home Depot test and let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.