Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire size opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Time to replace the old 165 x 15 Michelin XAS tires. Hard as a rock.
Looking at 175/65 or 185/65 as replacement tires on standard Fuchs rims. Which one will look better on the car? Tire size calculator on the site shows both of these slightly smaller in over all height than the orig 165x15's. Looking for opinions. Would the car drive any differently with either of these compared to the stock tire size?
Anyone know anything about Falken Ziex tires - good?, bad? Thanks.
Ed
Nine_14
Falken tires = barf.gif Cheap but not usefull for a sportscar.
somd914
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Dec 31 2012, 11:31 AM) *

agree.gif
DBCooper
Haven't tried every other tire to compare, but the last (not current) model Falken Azenis worked great for me. California, so extreme performance summer and no wet roads, but I was happy and I think my son still holds at least one track record using them. Switched to Kumho Ecsta XS, maybe a little less stick at the extremes, but an overall smoother tire.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 31 2012, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Dec 31 2012, 11:31 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif They built up a hot reputation with a good first and second generation tire in the Azenis and then pulled the rug out from under their loyal following with everything that followed. Falken = stromberg.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 31 2012, 09:40 AM) *

Haven't tried every other tire to compare, but the last (not current) model Falken Azenis worked great for me. California, so extreme performance summer and no wet roads, but I was happy and I think my son still holds at least one track record using them. Switched to Kumho Ecsta XS, maybe a little less stick at the extremes, but an overall smoother tire.

Oh, and both better than the Potenzas they replaced.

Tom_T
Size wise, the factory recco'd 195/65R15 tires - in S for 1.7's & T or H or higher speed rating for 2.0 & 1.8 & 1.7. That size or 185/75R15 will have the least speedo/odo error, but that 185/75 is as scarce as 165R15s!

Click to view attachment

From there, pick your brand & model, cuz everyone will have a different fav! shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.