Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch pedal question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
I converted my car a few years ago to a 915 transmission, with a 74 release fork. I find that the clutch pedal has to be pushed all the way down to release the clutch (yes, the free play is correct). I was told that there is a difference in the length of the clutch lever arm length on the pedal assemblies between different car models (911 vs 914). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to shorten the pedal travel, though I realize it will increase the pedal pressure needed to release the clutch.

If anyone has a picture with the measurements, I'd love to see it. I can remove the pedal assembly, replace the bushings, and try to modify the arm at the same time.
partwerks
Which part are you referring to?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/peda...al_assy_big.htm
Larry.Hubby
I also have a 915 box in my car, although I stuck with the '78 clutch release mechanism. There are several differences between the stock 914 cluth pedal shaft and the one for the 915 box. One is the length of the arm that pulls the cable, the release arm, as you observe. Unfortunately, the angle at which the hole for the roll pin that anchors the pedal to the shaft is drilled is different on the 911 part, as you can see from the photo:

Click to view attachment

Here, I've just put a long 6mm bolt thru the holes for the roll pin on both shafts and you can see the difference in the angle. If you just install the 911 shaft in the 914, the release arm will be rotated too far forward and the amount of pull you will get on the cable will be reduced. You will get more travel than with the 914 shaft, but still not enough, at least with my setup, and the clutch will still engage uncomfortably close to the floor. I wound up making a new clutch shaft with the angle of the hole corrected:

Click to view attachment

There is also one more difference. The 911 shaft is longer, moving the release arm further toward the center of the car, in order to keep the release arm from interfering with the throttle relay lever, so a plastic spacer is used to take up the space between the release arm and the end of the tube that holds the bearings for the clutch shaft. Since my revised clutch shaft has a straight, rather than a bent release arm, as you can see in the photo, I had to make a longer spacer also. Once I installed the revised shaft, the clutch operated normally.

Hope this helps.
Larry.Hubby
I just realized I didn't answer your question, which was how long the release arm is on the 911 shaft for the 915. It's 47mm, the shaft is 14mm diameter, and the shaft length is 162mm from the center of the hole for the roll pin to the driver's side edge of the release lever. The shaft length all the way to the the pedal end is 175mm, and the release lever is 5.5mm thick. The factory shaft has an offset in it, as does the stock 914 shaft, and this offset is 12mm. The 911 shaft is 16mm longer than the 914 shaft, so the stock 911 plastic spacer is 16mm long, but my spacer had to be 28mm long.
GeorgeRud
Thanks, that's exactly the information I needed. Now, to modify my old shaft with a new lever arm or to try to find a 915 shaft and modify that one?

Amazing how many little, time consuming projects I'm able to find. A conversion is never totally finished, there's always some other little project to attend to.
partwerks
Time consuming projects don't just apply to cars either. It's always something!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.