Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my 914 a grasshopper?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Erben914
I just bought my first 914 today. It is a 74 2.0. It is white with green trim. Could it be a grasshopper? Does anyone know if you can tell the original options and color by the vin? It is 4742907753. Click to view attachment
carr914
welcome.png

Can't decipher info from the VIN, you need to get a CoA

grasshopper914.jpg
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

to your question:
- there is no grasshopper, so ... no, it's not
- all known LE cars are in between 47429 14348 - 16454, so ... no, it's not
- for all details you might check Jeff's pages: http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

beerchug.gif
Steve Snyder
welcome.png
You can tell the original color by looking at the four-digit paint code on the small placard in the front of the driver's door jam (ex: "L80E").
Erben914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 1 2013, 05:01 AM) *

welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

to your question:
- there is no grasshopper, so ... no, it's not
- all known LE cars are in between 47429 14348 - 16454, so ... no, it's not
- for all details you might check Jeff's pages: http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the link. What a great site.
SirAndy
I'm one of the few who hasn't given up on the grasshopper yet, even after the factory stated that they never existed.

We all know how bad their record keeping was back in the day.
rolleyes.gif

grasshopper914.jpg
914Sixer
I'm with Sir Andy, I know that I have seen a Grasshopper in the past. It was in the late 70's or early 80's. It might have been a DEALER made but I know what I saw.
Erben914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 1 2013, 05:57 PM) *

I'm with Sir Andy, I know that I have seen a Grasshopper in the past. It was in the late 70's or early 80's. It might have been a DEALER made but I know what I saw.

I think I will make mi ne into one. I got it running today and had so much fun driving around. I plan to tear into a complete restore this spring. A grasshopper would be a good look. Even it it wasn't how it came out of the factory.
steuspeed
Congrats! You're going to love it! driving.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Erben914 @ Jan 1 2013, 06:34 PM) *
I think I will make mi ne into one. A grasshopper would be a good look.

Jeff Bowlsby did a tribute car a few years back. I think it looked great!

Johny Blackstain
I'm of the school that there is no such animal but that's no reason not to turn your teener into one. Cool color combo & not hard to do either. Congrats & enjoy the transformation... biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 2 2013, 04:42 AM) *

I think I will make mine into one. A grasshopper would be a good look.

agree.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 1 2013, 07:42 PM) *

I think I will make mi ne into one. A grasshopper would be a good look.

Where is this car now? Is it owned by a forum member?
Click to view attachment
carr914
I want a Blue Demon!
tod914
The coolest of the LE's!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 3 2013, 10:46 AM) *

Sold to someone who turned out to be a dealer in New Brunswick...
Bleyseng
I still say I saw one back in the day....I am not that forgetful...yet.
I use to play a game in 1970 when I would see a 914 to guess whether it was a 4 or 6.
I also rode around in one of the first 914's in Seattle as High School girl I knew had one since her dad owned the dealership.
MDG
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 3 2013, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 3 2013, 10:46 AM) *

Sold to someone who turned out to be a dealer in New Brunswick...

And I saw it listed up here on AutoTrader a few years back. Not sure if it sold; the ad ran for months.
anderssj
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 4 2013, 12:14 AM) *

I use to play a game in 1970 when I would see a 914 to guess whether it was a 4 or 6.
I also rode around in one of the first 914's in Seattle as High School girl I knew had one since her dad owned the dealership.

I know it's said they don't exist, but I remember seeing one in the U district when I was stationed in Seattle in 1977-8 (it may have been parked on the outdoor lot of the Porsche dealership north of 45th). Maybe it was a dealer special? I wish now that I had checked it out more closely . . . .
Pat Garvey
Wonder if the truth will ever come out.
Have my doubts that a grasshopper ever came from the factory, but other supposed myths have been shown to be true.
Look great anyway.
JeffBowlsby
No 'grasshopper' 914 came from the factory. End of Myth, as certified by PCNA. Any white/green 914 (or any other color/negative stripe combination) anyone has seen or remembers was fabricated either by the dealership or by the purchaser/owner. Porsche even had a marketing campaign promoting the personalizing idea during the same time period the 914 LE cars were available, and the parts were available in the parts department.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 3 2013, 08:35 PM) *

No 'grasshopper' 914 came from the factory. End of Myth, as certified by PCNA. Any white/green 914 (or any other color/negative stripe combination) anyone has seen or remembers was fabricated either by the dealership or by the purchaser/owner. Porsche even had a marketing campaign promoting the personalizing idea during the same time period the 914 LE cars were available, and the parts were available in the parts department.

Way to crap out a myth Jeff!

I have been dreaming of an Aubergine w/cream version.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 3 2013, 07:54 PM) *

Ah yes, the elusive Eggplantedition. biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(anderssj @ Mar 3 2013, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 4 2013, 12:14 AM) *

I know it's said they don't exist, but I remember seeing one in the U district when I was stationed in Seattle in 1977-8 (it may have been parked on the outdoor lot of the Porsche dealership north of 45th). Maybe it was a dealer special? I wish now that I had checked it out more closely . . . .

Yes, that was University Porsche/Audi back then and I test drove a couple of 914's there including a 1976 demo model I couldn't get the wife to go for a second car. Bought a 1976 Dasher SW instead which was a good car. Took it in to service there too so I was always looking at the new/used cars on the lot. I remember seeing a GH parked there too, but then there was a lot of nice Porsches there to look at. I grew up in the U district and at that time lived on Queen Anne Hill.
Sea Dragon 914
I have the eggplant edition. Hopefully, I'll have the restoration completed by the end of Summer but you know how projects go!

SDR

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 7 2013, 06:52 PM) *

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Mar 8 2013, 04:53 PM) *

I have the eggplant edition. Hopefully, I'll have the restoration completed by the end of Summer but you know how projects go!

SDR

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 7 2013, 06:52 PM) *

A Purple People Eater? biggrin.gif poke.gif
carr914
Then what is this?

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2014, 08:43 PM) *

Then what is this?

See post # 21 for your answer. sunglasses.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 21 2014, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2014, 08:43 PM) *

Then what is this?

See post # 21 for your answer. sunglasses.gif

I'm not buying that answer! Jeff knows his stuff but
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2014, 05:43 PM) *
Then what is this?

Photoshop. And a bad one at that.

I've done this sort of thing for a living and this one is done so badly that it's really easy to spot.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.