Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: need to transport my 914 from Seattle to Los Angeles as soon as possible
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSh
Hi Folks
My 914 has been sitting outside in Seattle and I'd really like to get it to LA to keep the mold and rust from killing it. Two months of weather have already done some harm.

Any ideas for economically getting it down there? The options I've explored so far are upwards of $800 and that's pretty painful.

Thanks
Joe
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(JoeSh @ Jan 1 2013, 02:44 AM) *

Hi Folks
My 914 has been sitting outside in Seattle and I'd really like to get it to LA to keep the mold and rust from killing it. Two months of weather have already done some harm.

Any ideas for economically getting it down there? The options I've explored so far are upwards of $800 and that's pretty painful.

Thanks
Joe

1) Fly and drive home.

2) The drive from LA is 18 hours. If you have the time, buy the tow hook set up and go get it.

3) Shop around for a terminal to terminal shipping quote. I've used DAS before. Results may vary.

4) Sell it and buy CA car.

5) Move back to Seattle. C'mon you hate CA don't you? lol-2.gif
effutuo101
Having recently shipped a car from Seattle to S.D. You will not get it here quick unless you spend over 1200. Fly and drive, hire somebody to tow or go get it. It took 25 days to get my car here on the cheap.
914Sixer
Try Uship.com. They put it out on the internet. I had about 25 offers to bring a car from North of Dallas to San Antonio. Bids went from $195 to $1200 for 190 mile trip.
KaptKaos
From Seattle to LA, you're looking at ~1200 miles. At 20 mpg +/- that's 60 gallons of gas. 60 x $3.75 = $225 in gas to drive it down. Figure a two day trip (1200 miles in a day is unsafe if you're alone) and add in a hotel room for $100, plus food/drinks on the cheap (McDonalds) for $50, and you're nearly at $400. Add in your airfare, what ever that'll cost plus the fact that you burn at least four days in this process (travel up, drive back and recovery) and that $800 doesn't look so bad anymore.
rhodyguy
and if there are any problems with I-5 from the cottage grove area to way south of the oregon/california border it'll be a long, cold, wait. if your car is securely tarped and bungeed our weather isn't going to be huge factor. the windows should be left slightly open while covered. a container of DRY-Z-AIR in a bucket set on the interior floor will help. use the pass side and pull the carpet.

k
JoeSh

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm actually in Seattle now so if I drive it'll cost me less than flying home (with my girlfriend). I'd want to go 101 though to avoid the passes and have a more enjoyable vacation-like drive.

That said, I'm thinking of putting the whole thing off for a few months by renting a space in a garage. The DRY-Z-AIR tip (thanks rhodyguy) sounds like a good thing to do though if I go that route.

I'll also check out the terminal-to-terminal possibilities (thanks RobW) and see if I can do it for under $400 that way.

Joe

PS Anyone have a space in their garage they'd like to rent? Rather give the cash to a 914'er than some apt complex.
r_towle
Drive it.
My son just drove to Florida and back for his holidays with the In laws to be...

Power down to LA...get it over with,

rich
rhodyguy
more towards spring is a much better idea in a 914. fyi, if you cut across from grants pass to the coast and there is a prob between gp/cave junction there is a gate that gets dropped when there are road issues and you have to turn around back to gp. the coast hwy from cresent city south can be very iffy this time of year due to washouts and slides. if so, your only recourse is to drive back to gp. if the gate gets dropped when your on the way back, then you have to drive north and cross over the oregon coastal range to I-5 or wait it out. that said, with decent weather the drive down the coast is swell in a 914. i've done the run to eureka 4 or 5 times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.