Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack support plate and tube removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgilliam914
I decided to replace the jack plate and tube and once I got into it I noticed it is much deeper than I had thought . I removed the outer shell because it was starting to rust through. Once I removed and the tube, I noticed it is recessed deeper in the longs than I expected. My question is how deep? Is it all the way where the tube attaches to the long? I am afraid to go much without more knowledge. My longs have no holes through them and I would prefer to keep them that way. Thanks in advance.
sfrenck
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Jan 1 2013, 12:58 PM) *

I decided to replace the jack plate and tube and once I got into it I noticed it is much deeper than I had thought . I removed the outer shell because it was starting to rust through. Once I removed and the tube, I noticed it is recessed deeper in the longs than I expected. My question is how deep? Is it all the way where the tube attaches to the long? I am afraid to go much without more knowledge. My longs have no holes through them and I would prefer to keep them that way. Thanks in advance.

All the way to the long - pretty sure it's tack welded to the long.
Jgilliam914
So it is basically the rectangular shape recessed about a 1/4 inch? And if I peel away the rusty tube plate it should reveal the long?
charliew
Search for a repair thread here and maybe look at the replacement pieces available. I think i remember putting the outer cover on is impossible to reweld the top without removing the door threshold piece.
sfrenck
Post a couple pics a little further away - something doesn't look right. You may want to compare the other side jack tube as well.

You should poke around the area with an ice pick also to check for any other rust.
sfrenck
May want to look at this thread

Targatoy jack post repair

And this one (posts 54 thru 64)

Spoke's Thread
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jan 1 2013, 01:22 PM) *

May want to look at this thread

Targatoy jack post repair

And this one (posts 54 thru 64)

Spoke's Thread

Thanks Scott for the link. Very Helpful.
I checked it and it was still very solid. This is not your typical midwest car. It has never seen snow and salt and always slept inside a garage unlike most of the other midwest cars and the first 12 years it lived in SoCal.
I was surprised once I got the old plate off the hole behind the jack tube. I did notice a little surface rust that I will now treat. I am waiting for the replacement parts.
I do see how it will be difficult to weld the top section without the threshold removal but once the parts get here I will tackle that then.
sfrenck
No problem - pet peeve of mine when people give "do a search" type comments. For some reason I never find searching this site easy (can't find any threads when you search "MPS" or "AAR", etc??).

I search with Google by entering the words I want to search for and add "site:914world.com" without the quotes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.