Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: homemade rear sway bar install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I'm thinking my original owner decided to save himself some cash when he installed this rear sway bar. I'm not sure if I should be thankful that he bothered to reinforce the trunk or pissed that he drilled holes to bolt some plates in.

Isn't it bad (like poor handling) to run a rear sway bar without a front? haven't I seen people recommend the opposite (a front and no rear)? There is no front bar, so I'm thinking I may just pull this whole thing off.

Click to view attachment
messix
no front sway bar?????

take that rear one off!

by the look of the links on the bar they are very loose so the bar most likely isn't very effective.
Dave_Darling
It's about roll stiffness. You can get roll stiffness by changing the springs (torsion bars in the front) or by the sway bars. So it's not necessarily a bad thing; drive the car and see how it feels.

--DD
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 1 2013, 06:37 PM) *

It's about roll stiffness. You can get roll stiffness by changing the springs (torsion bars in the front) or by the sway bars. So it's not necessarily a bad thing; drive the car and see how it feels.

--DD

agree.gif

I added a stock front bar shortly after buying my 914 and found that I could almost not tell I added a bar at all. I then added a stock rear bar and the car handled much beter with both. Contrary to what most on here repeat about rear sways, I found it to really be a good addition. Most here will say that a rear bar makes it more likely to spin out in hard cornering, but I have not found tjatto bethe case at all. I suspect that many that say tjat have never actually run a rearbar and "parrot" what they have heard otjers say. . . rolleyes.gif

A year later I added Konis on all four corners and it just got even better. Like Dave said, see how it handles as is and decide from there. You can always see how it is without it by disconnecting one of the drops and go for a drive
bradtho
I've been driving it like this for awhile. I'm betting the earlier comment about too much play in the bushings is right. I'm gonna just disconnect and see if I notice a difference.
sixnotfour
That's an ADDCO sway bar
sean_v8_914
that rear sway bar set up looks good to me. the bushings are worn and loose but they are common. autozone sells red urethane replacememnts

i do not recommend running a rear with no front unless you have some bigger front torsions.

this aint no parrot job here sonny. soft front and stiff rear is a tragedy waiting to happen. I try to help when I can and my primary concern is for your safety.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 1 2013, 10:07 PM) *

I added a stock front bar shortly after buying my 914 and found that I could almost not tell I added a bar at all. I then added a stock rear bar and the car handled much beter with both.

It could still be that the car would have been a handful without the front bar.

Back when my suspension was completely stock, I did a couple of autoX runs with the rear bar disconnected. I liked the handling better with it connected.

After I upgraded the rear springs to 140s and the front sway bar to 19mm, I found the handling was better with the rear bar disconnected. So I removed it.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.