Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Oil, GL4 or GL5?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
I've read on other threads and the popular recommendation seems to be to use GL5 type oil in the 914 tranny. I thought that GL5 was for newer transmissions and shouldn't be used on trannies with soft metal (brass, etc.) parts. Doesn't the 901 tranny have brass bushings or other soft metals?
So, straighten me out, please. Which oil should I use in my transmission?java script:emoticon(':blink:',%20'smid_17')
dangrouche
GL-4; tranny likes dino oil; you can find in your FLAP
mittelmotor
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jan 1 2013, 09:19 PM) *

GL-4; tranny likes dino oil; you can find in your FLAP

agree.gif Buy 3 quarts, as capacity is 2.6 IIRC.

--Doug
442nd914s
Where's a good place to buy this stuff? The few places that sell Brad Penn online, don't carry GL4 80w90. I even tried Brad Penn's website and only listed 1 store front store that doesn't carry it and a few website that don't carry GL4.
Should I just give in to the Swepco?
r_towle
Please consider searching the forum.
I rarely say that honestly, but this topic has alot of debate.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...980&hl=gear oil&st=0

Rich
Rand
GL5 in a 901 (914) manual 5 speed transmission.

If you can't remember this, then just think that a larger number is better. Five is better than four.
If you still aren't sure, open your hand wide, and count the fingers.
GL what????
GL5.

If you are missing a finger because somebody punched you in the nose when you were picking it, then go ahead with GL4. If you still have all your fingers, count them and go with GL5. biggrin.gif

dead horse.gif
osvolant
GL-5 is recommended for the 901. My local vintage Porsche shop agreed. I used Coastal (generic) GL-5 oil from Autozone and it works fine. I couldn't find Swepco 201 locally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.