Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bling factor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
Picked these up from the paintshop today...
The pics don't really do it justice.
It's near impossible do see it isn't real chrome cool_shades.gif
Jeroen
more
Jeroen
more
Jeroen
last one
914GT
Jereon, is that like a urethane base coat/clear coat paint or powdercoat? Looks great!
Jeroen
ok... 2 more biggrin.gif
Jeroen
last one... I promise cool_shades.gif
Jacco
wow Jeroen,

super schweet and nice n'shiny ohmy.gif

maybe add a window to the firewall so you can enjoy that baby every once in a while, and show it off of course!

greets
Jacco
Jeroen
This is a new paint process one of my clients has been working on recently
It's a 2 stage chrome paint.
Very durable (they use if for wheels as well) and you can paint pretty much anything with it (including plastic)
They can also do colors (including black chrome)
Eric_Shea
Share... what's the finish?
Eric_Shea
beat me to it... could it be available stateside?
machina
Hey, at least you are drinking and smoking beer3.gif

I have heard about the fan rubbing on the shroud after a heavy powdercoat or paint job.

Check that first so your pretty work doesn't get messed up.
djm914-6
Look at Also Corp for something similer. I don't know how it stands up but it looks cool

http://www.alsacorp.com/
Jeroen
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Nov 9 2004, 07:31 PM)
I have heard about the fan rubbing on the shroud after a heavy powdercoat or paint job.

Yep, it is a bit too thick. Not because of the paint, but because of the primer/filler
The fan and housing were in pretty bad shape and it took quite a bit persuading to get a smooth surface
So, it'll have to be done again (I think I'll have the housing done in black chrome)
This was more a "lets see if it works" experiment and I wanted to show the results

The paint is very durable (same as powder coating).
It is also used for wheels (you can mount tires without chipping the paint)
Brad Smith
Hmmm... an all-chrome 914. laugh.gif
Jacco
idea.gif hmmm black chrome body work.... bling bling
can you say eat this homeboys cool_shades.gif

jacco
Joe Ricard
911 engine fan. The original spinners
Jeroen
This can also be used to paint steel or f/g bumpers
Unlike with chroming, the bumpers don't need to be perfect.
Minor flaws can just be fixed with bondo

I've seen quite a few parts he has done and if you don't know it's painted, you won't see the difference
skline
So that means you could take fiberglass bumpers, and paint the bottom with the Chrome paint and the top in rubberized flat black and not see much difference. That would be cool. Think of all the plastic parts that are chromed on these cars. Or the aluminum trim around the glass. The possibilities are endless.
McMark
I still don't understand if this is a proprietary technology, or a publicly available technology. confused24.gif

Is it baked or just sprayed?

What I'm getting at, is it something Brandon could do to my car?
Jeroen
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 9 2004, 09:11 PM)
So that means you could take fiberglass bumpers, and paint the bottom with the Chrome paint and the top in rubberized flat black and not see much difference. That would be cool. Think of all the plastic parts that are chromed on these cars. Or the aluminum trim around the glass. The possibilities are endless.

You got it biggrin.gif
skline
We must have been typing the same time with the same thoughts.
Jeroen
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Nov 9 2004, 09:13 PM)
I still don't understand if this is a proprietary technology, or a publicly available technology. confused24.gif

Is it baked or just sprayed?

What I'm getting at, is it something Brandon could do to my car?

It is a special 2 stage paint. First a base coat, then a clear/top coat which chemically reacts with the base coat and creates the chrome look.

It's not as easy to apply as regular paint/clear coat though.
The amount of clearcoat affects how good the chrome will be as well as the tint of the chrome.

My friend is a professional painter for over 25 years and it took him quite a while before he got the results he wanted
Jeroen
Equally cool... Valve covers, intake manifolds, engine tin...
Repaint your crappy horn/fog grills
djm914-6
While I haven't used it myself, the stuff AlsaCorp sells seems pretty easy to use. It works best over black then then use their speed clear over the chrome.

The technology is here, now we just need to get it affordable for DIYers.
914GT
This must be the same stuff they used on that BMW (up in Quebec I think) where the whole thing was chrome. There's a thread on this board somewhere on that.
jasons
IPB ImageChrome M3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.