Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nico914
Hey guys this is my first 914 and im excited to be able to work on it and make this car my own. Is there any tips you guys have for me or advice you could give me about the car or working on it. Anything would help. Ill post pictures soon and keep you guys a part of my build. smile.gif beerchug.gif
last337
QUOTE(Nico914 @ Jan 2 2013, 12:48 PM) *

Hey guys this is my first 914 and im excited to be able to work on it and make this car my own. Is there any tips you guys have for me or advice you could give me about the car or working on it. Anything would help. Ill post pictures soon and keep you guys a part of my build. smile.gif beerchug.gif

Welcome! I am new as well and have really enjoyed working on my car. Lets see some pics of your new toy!

welcome.png
Bob L.
welcome.png

Your Question is a bit vague. I suggest asking about specific tasks. Searching the forums is a PITA sometimes but worth it.
These are simple cars to work on, however there are lots of little things that it helps to know before you start.
If you don't have a Haynes manual or similar guide, I would get one.

One piece of advice... Take lots of pictures for reference as you take things apart. Then you can see how to reassemble. The Pic's in the repair manuals are usually pretty bad.
jsayre914
welcome.png

Tip 1) Enjoy it biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Buy jackstands. They tend to spend a good deal of time perched. av-943.gif
wndsnd
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

The best group I have ever encountered in the resto world.

I started my rolling restoration in February of 2012. It rolled right on to jack stands and now I in full blown.

Questions will be answered and progress will be made. Enjoy the journey!
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! You have come to the right place. A lot of smart people, me excluded!
welcome.png
Jgilliam914
You will learn more about your car in the next few months than you could have ever imagined. Welcome to the world..welcome.png
tscrihfield
welcome.png

Agreed with Conedodger and "Perched" is a great word for it. If you listen closely you can actually hear them rust, so staying on top of that is work enough... Although working on them is much rewarding. Do post pics as we all love them and they are like boobs, we want to see them all... Even if they're a little saggy.... or on the floor blink.gif

Cheers and good luck! beerchug.gif

Thomas
Cairo94507
Welcome to the madness! This is a terrific source of information as you learn about your car and decide what course you will take to make it "your" car.

I would strongly suggest that you read every build thread you can find on here to see all of the issues which will generally arise as you move forward with your project. Mostly, do not rush. Park it and read first and get an absolute clear picture of the car you want when you are done. That will keep you from spending money on needless stuff as you move along and change your focus. Some people change direction mid-stream and spend waste money unnecessarily in the process.

Also, and it depends upon the level of repair/restoration you want to achieve, stay away from the cheaper quality stuff as it will fail you. I tend to look for quality parts so that hopefully I buy a part once and it serves my purpose and I move on to finding the next.

Then, before you do almost anything do not be afraid to post on here and ask for suggestions, advise, etc. The people on here know what they are talking about and we all want to see these cars taken care of and enjoyed.

Welcome and enjoy.
Michael
carguy914
QUOTE(Nico914 @ Jan 2 2013, 01:48 PM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif with all the comments so far...a lot of great information available here, and a vast supply of parts.

Have fun and let's see some pic's!

popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
welcome.png Now lets see your ride!!!
Nico914
Here is some pics of the car. It was originally red and will be going back to that color as soon as the work is done. She needs some work to get the motor running again, but hey its a project im willing to take on and am very excited to do so.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Nico914 @ Jan 2 2013, 05:43 PM) *

Here is some pics of the car. It was originally red and will be going back to that color as soon as the work is done. She needs some work to get the motor running again, but hey its a project im willing to take on and am very excited to do so.

What engine is in there? I see the dual exhaust. Welcome! welcome.png
Nico914
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 2 2013, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Nico914 @ Jan 2 2013, 05:43 PM) *

What engine is in there? I see the dual exhaust. Welcome! welcome.png

The 1.7 4cyl
steuspeed
+1 on going back to the original color red.
aharder
welcome.png
Tip = Money biggrin.gif Lots of of Money biggrin.gif
you've come to the right place !!
Good luck beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Hartford where? You might be close to this guy who is one of the best. http://tangerineracing.com/
Nico914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 2 2013, 05:27 PM) *

Hartford where? You might be close to this guy who is one of the best. http://tangerineracing.com/

lol thats not very far from me!
r_towle
QUOTE(Nico914 @ Jan 2 2013, 08:36 PM) *

Go there and make friends....seriously.

Rich
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 2 2013, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Nico914 @ Jan 2 2013, 08:36 PM) *

Rich

Bring beer
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 2 2013, 05:39 PM) *

Exactly what I was going to say. Between Chris and Ed, they have probably worked on more 914s than anywhere else within a thousand miles of you. They know these cars well, and they're usually pretty friendly guys.

Figure out a direction for the project--cruiser, autocrosser, weekend twisty-road toy, concours restoration, hard-core racer, tribute car, show car, platform for a massive sound system, or ??? Figure out a budget. Realize that you'll blow the budget--but it's still good to have.

Get the mechanical stuff sorted out before you go wild on appearance stuff. Get the basic chassis solid before you go to town on the mechanicals.

--DD
PanelBilly
Take the whole thing apart and mix up the parts on the way. Make a puzzle that drives you nuts.

Welcome

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.