Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Okay, just curious what everyone's opinion is of what you would do if you started with a base 2.0 and wanted to the most use of your money as far as increasing hp starting with least expensive to most expensive. beerchug.gif

ConeDodger
I would start with a good set of headers. You're in Norlens... You don't need no freakin' heat.

I would stop there and put swaybars on if it doesn't have them.

I would stop there. Once you start slipping down the slope the car gets less driveable and thereby harder to have fun with. Unless, you were to put in a stockish 3.2. That would preserve all the driveability and fun. I guess Mr. Wills can't stop talking about how much fun his is. driving.gif
last337
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 2 2013, 01:07 PM) *

I would start with a good set of headers. You're in Norlens... You don't need no freakin' heat.

I would stop there and put swaybars on if it doesn't have them.

I would stop there. Once you start slipping down the slope the car gets less driveable and thereby harder to have fun with. Unless, you were to put in a stockish 3.2. That would preserve all the driveability and fun. I guess Mr. Wills can't stop talking about how much fun his is. driving.gif

Well so far I have bought some dual 40s. I am waiting on those then just trying to get the car to run smooth and fix a few other odds and ends. then tackle the hellhole to see how bad things really are and then tackle electrical issues. Will headers give me a big boost?
pcar916
Start with lightening the car and spending your cash on safety, suspension, and track experiences.

Stuff like shocks, sway bars, torsion bars, springs and brakes will transform the car and there are many threads about this on this forum.

That'll make you quicker faster than anything else you can do. Engine and horsepower mods are expensive, take a long time, and per dollar, are far less effective at first. Once you've extracted all you can from the car then play with powerplant mods!

The nut behind the wheel usually needs more work than the car.

- Good luck!
r_towle
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 2 2013, 02:16 PM) *

Start with lightening the car and spending your cash on safety, suspension, and track experiences.

Stuff like shocks, sway bars, torsion bars, springs and brakes will transform the car and there are many threads about this on this forum.

That'll make you quicker faster than anything else you can do. Engine and horsepower mods are expensive, take a long time, and per dollar, are far less effective at first. Once you've extracted all you can from the car then play with powerplant mods!

The nut behind the wheel usually needs more work than the car.

- Good luck!

agree.gif

Suspension first, Tires second.
Drive as much as you can to learn.

You can get FTD in a 2.0 liter if you know how to drive it.
We had a guy up here (who moved to Texas) Mark Schnoerr.
A stock 2.0 liter and he regularly got FTD....against race cars, new 911's, anything you can imagine.

A really superb driver can make these cars do amazing things.

That is all within Autox, and track days.

rich
toolguy
195/50 series tires, reduce the diameter. . cheaper than a set of gears
carr914
What would I do? Search & read the 1000s of Threads about this subject on this Forum!
KaptKaos
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 2 2013, 11:35 AM) *

agree.gif

Suspension first, Tires second.
Drive as much as you can to learn.

You can get FTD in a 2.0 liter if you know how to drive it.
We had a guy up here (who moved to Texas) Mark Schnoerr.
A stock 2.0 liter and he regularly got FTD....against race cars, new 911's, anything you can imagine.

A really superb driver can make these cars do amazing things.

That is all within Autox, and track days.

rich

Brakes first. Then what you said. Minimally, make sure that the stock system is up to snuff.
MoveQik
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 2 2013, 12:07 PM) *

I guess Mr. Wills can't stop talking about how much fun his is. driving.gif

How did I get pulled into this??

Oh well, you are right. Six years since the motor swap and still a huge grin every time I turn the key. biggrin.gif
Cupomeat
Oh and don't convert to carbs.

FIx the FI right and you'll have a much happier engine with better driveability.

That is unless you really start modifying the engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.