Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Drive, LS1 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Well, I put the 914 on the road on New Year’s day. It’s not 100% complete, as I still have to detail out a few things, but she runs! I didn’t drive far from the house in case anything un-suspected happened, but it went without incident. Cell phone photos are with my Daughter in the car waiting for the maiden drive.

The car is a 5.7L LS1 with an Audi 6 speed transaxle, custom trailing arms, 911 suspension, AC, and

Overall, it drove fine. Yup, it’s fast……I get a severe drone at 2000 RPM, so I’m looking to add a cross-over pipe on the exhaust system the next time I drop the motor. My Wilwood handbrake calipers rattle like nuts and bolts in an old metal pail when I’m on a rough road, but it’s livable for now. Steering wheel isn’t straight, but I had originally done a track alignment with a little toe-out which I changed to toe-in just before the drive (I adjusted just one side which explains the crooked steering wheel). Otherwise, everything went without incident; temp was fine, good oil pressure, voltage spot on, and even the electronic 993 speedo works! The clutch is really abrupt, but it’s basically a stock car race clutch so I’m not surprised. I didn't stray far from home, but did manage to get it on the freeway for a quick blast. My Daughter loved the drive and was amazed at how small the 914 really is.

I'll take some detail pictures after my wife returns fom Mexico in a couple of weeks with our camera.

Andys
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 2 2013, 02:04 PM) *

Well, I put the 914 on the road on New Year’s day. It’s not 100% complete, as I still have to detail out a few things, but she runs! I didn’t drive far from the house in case anything un-suspected happened, but it went without incident. Cell phone photos are with my Daughter in the car waiting for the maiden drive.

The car is a 5.7L LS1 with an Audi 6 speed transaxle, custom trailing arms, 911 suspension, AC, and

Overall, it drove fine. Yup, it’s fast……I get a severe drone at 2000 RPM, so I’m looking to add a cross-over pipe on the exhaust system the next time I drop the motor. My Wilwood handbrake calipers rattle like nuts and bolts in an old metal pail when I’m on a rough road, but it’s livable for now. Steering wheel isn’t straight, but I had originally done a track alignment with a little toe-out which I changed to toe-in just before the drive (I adjusted just one side which explains the crooked steering wheel). Otherwise, everything went without incident; temp was fine, good oil pressure, voltage spot on, and even the electronic 993 speedo works! The clutch is really abrupt, but it’s basically a stock car race clutch so I’m not surprised. I didn't stray far from home, but did manage to get it on the freeway for a quick blast. My Daughter loved the drive and was amazed at how small the 914 really is.

I'll take some detail pictures after my wife returns fom Mexico in a couple of weeks with our camera.

Andys

Looks great...Feels good to drive instead of working on everything.

Bob
ConeDodger
If I hadn't ridden in Paul Sayegh's 3.6 conversion, I could only imagine what kind of power that might be... Let's see, my Tahoe minus 3000#! Wow! evilgrin.gif
JRust
I am really interested in the audi 6 speed transmission setup. Do you have any pics of it? I am doing an LS1 swap & would rather go with a newer tranny. I'd love your input on yours biggrin.gif . Thanks & congrats on getting it on the road
Andyrew
Congrats!

bulitt
Ok, more pics needed!
Mike Bellis
Awesome! piratenanner.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Krieger
Congratulations! Enjoy it.
FourBlades
Great looking car. first.gif

I would like to know more about the Audi transaxle as well.

John
slothness
Great to finally see you're done Andy. I have that same drone, but mine goes from 1000-5000. sad.gif
ruby914
Cool! driving-girl.gif
Photos in 2 weeks popcorn[1].gif
smile.gif
euro911
N I C E ... smile.gif
andys
Since there's some interest in the Audi transaxle, I'll give a brief run down.

The Audi trans is an 01E 6 speed; they're reportedly good to about 500HP. I made the adapter plate myself since at the time, no one made one. There is a guy in Texas that makes them now; TurboWalt got his adapter from him, I believe. The transaxles were never available on cars imported into the US, thus I brought mine over from Europe a few years ago. Advanced Automotion does sell them now; check their WEB site. Seems the cost is quite reasonable.......I think TurboWalt got his from them (though be it with options). Kennedy does not make adapters for LS1/01E, last I checked. First gear is a little short, however it works out perfect for getting the car up my inclined driveway and into the garage. The rest of the gear ratios are very nice.

For the photo starved, here are a couple more random cell phone pics:

Andys
jimkelly
do you recall, at 65 mph, what rpm are you at in top gear?
jbyron
That's insane. What a great looking project. Looking forward to more pics. Did you do a build thread?
andys
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 3 2013, 12:26 PM) *

Jim,

I'll have to pull-up the gear ratio chart, but I think it's 1850RPM @ 60MPH....Best I recall anyway.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(jbyron @ Jan 3 2013, 12:57 PM) *

That's insane. What a great looking project. Looking forward to more pics. Did you do a build thread?

No build thread. I'll have to do a retro build thread or something confused24.gif

Andys
Rand
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 3 2013, 12:45 PM) *
No build thread. I'll have to do a retro build thread or something confused24.gif

If you have pics and feel like writing it, I know we'd appreciate seeing the process history. beerchug.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 3 2013, 08:33 AM) *

The Audi trans is an 01E 6 speed; they're reportedly good to about 500HP. I made the adapter plate myself since at the time, no one made one. There is a guy in Texas that makes them now; TurboWalt got his adapter from him, I believe. The transaxles were never available on cars imported into the US, thus I brought mine over from Europe a few years ago. Advanced Automotion does sell them now; check their WEB site. Seems the cost is quite reasonable.......I think TurboWalt got his from them (though be it with options). Kennedy does not make adapters for LS1/01E, last I checked. First gear is a little short, however it works out perfect for getting the car up my inclined driveway and into the garage. The rest of the gear ratios are very nice.

Andys

I have never seen the attention to detail, craftsmanship, uniqueness, and more "bitchen" ride than Andy's. I have to take my towel over to his house whenever I admire his car because I continuously drool on every square inch. I have a lot of photos I took of his car and drool over those also!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCELLENT JOB and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 3 2013, 08:33 AM) *

Andys
I know your just starting your "shake-down" runs, but so far how well is your radiator ducting working out? Do you have a lot of hot 'air wash' with the windows down from the air being ducted out of the top? I think the set up is great!
andys
QUOTE(914340 @ Jan 3 2013, 09:56 PM) *

I know your just starting your "shake-down" runs, but so far how well is your radiator ducting working out? Do you have a lot of hot 'air wash' with the windows down from the air being ducted out of the top? I think the set up is great!

I have no comment on the radiator cooling or hot air wash since I only drove it briefly for one afternoon. The day was frigid by SoCal standards (low 50's), so the radiator fans never came on (temp stayed at 185....thermostat temp), and the windows were rolled up the whole time. I'll have to wait until the weather warms up a bit before I know what effect the radiator will have.

Andys
computers4kids
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 3 2013, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 3 2013, 12:26 PM) *

Jim,

I'll have to pull-up the gear ratio chart, but I think it's 1850RPM @ 60MPH....Best I recall anyway.

Andys

Great to see your car! Congrats.
I also would be interested in the actual rpm at 65. Is 6th gear 1:1?
Thanks,
Mark
andys
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 4 2013, 07:31 PM) *

Great to see your car! Congrats.
I also would be interested in the actual rpm at 65. Is 6th gear 1:1?
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

65MPH is about 2000RPM with 255-40-17 tires. 6th gear is 0.60, diff is 3.875

Andy
Andyrew
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 4 2013, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(914340 @ Jan 3 2013, 09:56 PM) *

I have no comment on the radiator cooling or hot air wash since I only drove it briefly for one afternoon. The day was frigid by SoCal standards (low 50's), so the radiator fans never came on (temp stayed at 185....thermostat temp), and the windows were rolled up the whole time. I'll have to wait until the weather warms up a bit before I know what effect the radiator will have.

Andys

I had a bigger opening and didnt really feel the heat ever. I closed the opening for aesthetics.
andys
Thought I'd add a better quality cell phone photo. This one is from my second drive on Sunday. She still held together!

Andys
TJB/914
Andys,

What a beautiful build. pray.gif I really like it. wub.gif The only thing I would change would be loovers in the hood for a street rod look in place of what's there, but that's just me.

Tom

euro911
That's HOT.

I'd love to have a water cooled power plant, but don't know if I want to give up that cavernous front trunk area (wife doesn't travel light) dry.gif
TC 914-8
Nice !!! great clean build. What adaptor plate did you use with the Audi 6 speed?
I used to live in Valencia/Canyon country years ago, too bad I'm not still around, we could hit some of the canyons!!!! I'll look you up next time I come to visit.
andys
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 7 2013, 02:23 PM) *

Andys,

What a beautiful build. pray.gif I really like it. wub.gif The only thing I would change would be loovers in the hood for a street rod look in place of what's there, but that's just me.

Tom

Tom,

At the time (5 years ago), I couldn't find a pre-made fiberglass louver that would work, so I made the one you see. It's design was by an Art Center College of Design student, as I have zero artistic sense. Since then, Byndbad914 found a carbon fiber louver from Genesis Technologies and fit it up to his V8 track car and it looks fantastic! Real racey, and looks right for the car.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.