Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any reason to avoid a '76?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vitaminC
Yes, I am still looking for "the one" smile.gif Patience is not really my strong suit, but I'm trying to avoid bringing home something I will regret later.

This 76 has been FS for a while now, and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Yes, I prefer yellow.

Initially I was trying to steer clear of the '76 since it will need smog here in CA, but maybe it's not really a huge issue? Is it difficult to keep them going in such a way that they'll pass smog and still run reliably?

Thanks for all the replies so far, I do appreciate it.
Cupomeat
What I know;

1. CA requires not only that the car passes emissions but that the Smog equipment has not been removed. The air injection equipment can be hard to find (replace) when it breaks.

2. Later cars had some structural updates which makes them superior in strength to the early cars (ask someone how much they had to cut to get a six oil tank in a later car) but they do weigh more with the bigger impact bumpers.

3. ALL 76s were 2.0l cars which is good, but the emissions equipment reduced thier output (88 hp). Still more than the 1.8, but less than the 73-74 USA 2.0l (95hp). This can be realtively easily corrected with high comp pistons or 2056cc kit.

4. The later cars have seat belt interlock on them in which you can start the car unless you are sitting in the seat with the seatbelt on. Usually this has been disabled (I've never seen a working one)

5. Later cars have less standard equipment which doesn't really matter to you as you can just buy the options from people on 914world and add them in.

I hope this helped.
Cupomeat
Oh and welcome.png

Wait and find the right car, and don't be afraid of 75-76 cars, they aren't much different.
billh1963
I would buy a nice '76. They are the last year and with low production numbers will have some collector value in the future. That being said, it would have to be a really nice one with working FI
ConeDodger
As long as it could be smogged, I would not avoid a '76. You can always sell it out of State.
JawjaPorsche
Hi Chris,

You might get a fellow 914World member to look at the car with you.

welcome.png
TravisNeff
That looks like a nice car, and quite a bit of $$ invested recently to make it pass smog etc. If there are no other issues with the car, it looks like a good buy.
Rand
When I care about a late model car I backdate the bumpers, exhaust, and emissions. That takes a little work, but not nearly as much as rust repair.

Depends on the car. If anything a '76 *should* have a better chance at having less rust rot.

Year is irrelevant. Cost to restore is everything.

(If you live in a place where you still have to smog it and can't find a "historic" or other loophole, that's a factor I'm not used to. Same point applies though: Cost to repair and (pass or be exempt).)
Steve
I live in so cal and own a 75. I would not own a 76, because of the biannual smog inspection. The smog equipment is getting harder and harder to find for the stock engine. When my car required smog way back when it was a pain in the ass to get it to pass. Back then my car was a stock 2.0. A lot of the members have given up on the stock injection and have either switched to something more modern or a whole engine swap. It's nice to have the flexibility to do whatever you want to the car and not have to worry about the inspections. My car now has a stock Euro 3.2 motor.
That car looks like a nice deal though... Up to you if you think you will never want to change it.
rex66m
QUOTE(vitaminC @ Jan 2 2013, 05:32 PM) *

Yes, I am still looking for "the one" smile.gif Patience is not really my strong suit, but I'm trying to avoid bringing home something I will regret later.

This 76 has been FS for a while now, and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Yes, I prefer yellow.

Initially I was trying to steer clear of the '76 since it will need smog here in CA, but maybe it's not really a huge issue? Is it difficult to keep them going in such a way that they'll pass smog and still run reliably?

I can understand the smog issue living in CA, but other than that, what's not to love? Being an end of run year, it got all of the design benefits and they dumped appearance group items into them to get them off of the shelves (center console, etc.). And call it blasphemy, but I prefer the big bumpers. I like the look and a minor impact isn't that big of an issue. I still have not removed my smog equipment, but have thought about taking it off.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 2 2013, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(vitaminC @ Jan 2 2013, 05:32 PM) *

I can understand the smog issue living in CA, but other than that, what's not to love? Being an end of run year, it got all of the design benefits and they dumped appearance group items into them to get them off of the shelves (center console, etc.). And call it blasphemy, but I prefer the big bumpers. I like the look and a minor impact isn't that big of an issue. I still have not removed my smog equipment, but have thought about taking it off.

I prefer big bumpers too, just not on my 914! biggrin.gif

vitaminC
QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 2 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Actually, this one doesn't seem to have the appearance package, as seen here:
IPB Image

Thanks everyone for the input! Eventually I will start a 'bought this' thread instead of a 'have questions' thread sunglasses.gif
rex66m
QUOTE(vitaminC @ Jan 2 2013, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rex66m @ Jan 2 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Actually, this one doesn't seem to have the appearance package, as seen here:
IPB Image

Thanks everyone for the input! Eventually I will start a 'bought this' thread instead of a 'have questions' thread sunglasses.gif

Maybe so, but that one has the optional 6 disc changer (passenger seat), dash cover, and door speakers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.