Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big ass steel flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
I decided to add another flare method to my upcoming video so that it will be useful for those who want to start from scratch. This is a simple way to get almost whatever size or shape flare you want.

The wheel opening is formed from 3/8" square stock. To form it you can use a hammer and couple of 2x4s nailed to your work bench, or a more expensive tool like a compact bender (ornamental iron work) from shopoutfitters.com or harbor frieght if you like cheap garbage.

Once the wheel opening is in place you roll flat pieces of 20 gage steel over your leg, and clamp them to the car. Weld. Pretty simple, really. You can then add some shape using the stretching methods in the video or just run them as is. The album:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980138836765

More to come as I make some progress. Not my favorite type of flare, but they have their place. See picture...shape to be added...not a finished product.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Brad Smith
Very nice... I'm sure my daughter will be overjoyed when she sees that. She likes the huge "overdone" body kits.

Brad
rhodyguy
pretty cool john. is that your car or zack's? what sort of treatment does the rocker panel area get where it meets the wheel opening?

kevin
Brad Smith
Hey John,

Any timeframe on the video yet? I'm sold. smile.gif
seanery
Those look like a steel version of Bontempi's flares. I like. drooley.gif
John Kelly
Kevin, I knew I forgot something! This flare is a mock up on my car for demonstration purposes only. The rockers could be done using the same technique... a frame work and skin..you could make box flares by adding another piece of square stock at the level of the shoulder line, and fitting panels to it as well....this is a technique that could be used for all sorts of custom projects....side scoops, etc

Brad, I'm hoping the video will ready in a month, but I'm at the mercy of someone elses schedule. It will be in dvd format.

Sean, Thanks dude! I wish I had figured this out 20 years ago...

neo914-6
John,

How big a wheel is this flare accomodating? It looks like a nice taper and without compound curves. smilie_pokal.gif How do you duplicate the other side?

Felix
John Kelly
Hi Felix,

This particular flare would fit an 11" or 12" wide wheel, I'm thinking. You could go smaller or larger with the flare. To duplicate the other side, you use the same paper pattern used on the original (I made paper patterns to see where to make the seams), and roll the panels over your leg just like the other side. It helps to build both flares at the same time so you get the same results. The hardest part to get the same would be the wheel opening form...lots of trial an error, measurements, quicky templates, and eyeballing.

rhodyguy
the flares on your avatar car are perfectly proportioned. do you have a front flare picture?

kevin
John Kelly
Hi Kevin,

I have some pictures of front flares in these albums:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980138836765

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980109691714

Probably have few more on my computer somewhere...or I could snap one for you later today from my car...pretty small front flares so far. Zach's will be made a little larger eventually.

andys
John,

Nice easy solution to the flare problem. Perhaps you could construct what's shown, and offer it as a sellable product. I think 9" would be more popular.

Would you recommend tracing the perifery, cutting the fender, and performing a butt weld? A lap joint would be easier for fitting, but more troublesome for finishing, I would think. BTW, what kind of shears do you use to cut the large pieces? I have the Bosch power shears and don't like the edge finish they produce.

Andy
John Kelly
Hi Andy,

The whole idea is to get the car owners to do the work, so I have no plans to make them for sale....trying to find time for my projects! I'm hoping that some of the braver do-it-yourselfers will learn just how much creative metal manipulation is possible with a little patience and a lot of work.

I use the type of electric nibbler shear that takes out a 1/4" wide swath of metal. It leaves a pretty nice edge, but you still have to file it for safe handling.

Butt welds are best for finish work, but they are a little harder to do.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.