Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine assembly for dummies...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
Got a new web cam and gear (and new johnson lifters to match). Does it take anything more than setting up the same orientation of lobes to the index on the gear as the old stock cam/gear had? Then loctite on the bolts too?
Brad Roberts
It has been awhile.. but I'm pretty sure the bolt holes for the cam gear are in a pattern that doesnt allow you to screw it up. The pattern looks the same... but it should only line up in one direction.

If not.. line the lobes up the same. I normally mark the orientation before cutting the rivets from the gear.

B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 16 2003, 12:24 PM)
It has been awhile.. but I'm pretty sure the bolt holes for the cam gear are in a pattern that doesnt allow you to screw it up. The pattern looks the same... but it should only line up in one direction.

If not.. line the lobes up the same. I normally mark the orientation before cutting the rivets from the gear.

B

I’m pretty sure that Brad’s is correct it only goes on one way. Check with an old cam to make sure.

If you’re using the stock gear make sure the bolts clear the oil pump housing. I think that you have to cut the face of the gear a bit to make it fit. This might be just for guys using the Type 1-26mm oil pump mod.

I use 620 green sleeve-fit Locktite on the bolts.
swood
Yep yer right. One way to fit the cam to gear.

One more question...windage tray or no windage tray? This will be a daily driver not a ax car (if that matters) beer.gif
Mark Henry
If it's basiclly stock keep it

Some guys say don't use them on high rev. hi-po engines.

beer.gif
Zeke
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 17 2003, 03:54 AM)
If it's basiclly stock keep it

Some guys say don't use them on high rev. hi-po engines.

beer.gif

I think that the racing engines use a modified windage tray. At least that's what Jake Raby preaches. It can't hurt to use it stock, but if you decide to leave it out, I'll take it. Got the seals for it?
swood
Yeah I got seals, and I see that PP has replacements for 7.00.
bander
QUOTE(swood @ May 16 2003, 07:43 AM)
Got a new web cam and gear (and new johnson lifters to match).

Are Johnson Lifters approved to work with Web Cams? Why not Web Lifters. I hear that this can be a big deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.