Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sportmatic Prototype for Sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
nathansnathan
Looks like it was Adriatic to start with. I haven't seen this before, so sorry if it is a repost...looks like it just went up.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/119461/index.html

IPB Image

81 kW / 110 PS, 1.977 ccm³, 05.06.1970. Original 914/6 Sportomatic gearbox. This is one of two known 914/6 Sportomatic Prototypes. This one is also mentioned in WIKIPEDIA with the chassis no. 914 120. The Porsche has got lots of prototype parts, which are different in the series. The Porsche first was used from the Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG for tests and later it was bought from an ingenieur of Porsche. This Porsche was only running until 20.08.1979 and was then standing by a collector. The Porsche has to be restored, it is partially disassembled.
nathansnathan
Ah, I see it now, it is in the registry. i was looking for 390. I guess it has been for sale for 10 years . biggrin.gif They took the gasburners off it looks like. Looks L50E to me. beerchug.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=10414
Tom_T
I like the linked sale listing it with "Paddle Shifter" under transmission. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 3 2013, 12:39 PM) *
Looks like it was Adriatic to start with.

Dark Purple, just like 914.114. And this car has been "for sale" since the late '90s with no takers.

I doubt it will ever sell at that price.
popcorn[1].gif
nathansnathan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 7 2013, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 3 2013, 12:39 PM) *
Looks like it was Adriatic to start with.

Dark Purple, just like 914.114. And this car has been "for sale" since the late '90s with no takers.

I doubt it will ever sell at that price.
popcorn[1].gif

Could be, sometimes the camera/light makes the colors look different, I could see it as purple, too, but sure looks blue. smile.gif -Maybe it was at one time? I've seen that they resprayed the prototypes a bunch of different colors through their lives?
IPB Image

Mine for comparison
IPB Image

and more prototype...
IPB Image
IPB Image
Interesting that the heater lever knob is black. smoke.gif

IronHillRestorations
I have an NOS engine harness for a 914-6 sportomatic, if anyone is interested.
Niklas
I looked at the sportomatic when it was for sale in Stuttgart.
Expensive and the paint and body looks very bad.
Looks much better on pictures.

nathansnathan
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jan 8 2013, 02:29 PM) *

I looked at the sportomatic when it was for sale in Stuttgart.
Expensive and the paint and body looks very bad.
Looks much better on pictures.

It does look a bit rough. sad.gif worse than mine was as the lower firewall looks toast on the whole passenger end of it. The hell hole has to be colossal. Looks like no (4) engine mounts has helped it some. I wonder what all the crap on the firewall is - it wouldn't have had a sound pad in the engine bay, or maybe that is something they tried with this one.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Bullethead
Hard to believe it's already been 10 years. Even harder to fathom is why anyone would make a color change on a prototype. WTF.gif
I'm a Sporto fan and own two '68 911 Targas with the system, an S and a T. This car always intrigued me, but not at the asking price.
Pat Garvey
I had a '70E Sporto for 5 years. Never understood why that configuration didnt take.

Loved it. Easy to drive in traffic, yet as aggressive as you wish for spirited driving. Made apretty good auto-x car too.

Just don't rest your hand one the shifter!
Bullethead
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 11 2013, 07:59 PM) *

I had a '70E Sporto for 5 years. Never understood why that configuration didnt take.

Loved it. Easy to drive in traffic, yet as aggressive as you wish for spirited driving. Made apretty good auto-x car too.

Just don't rest your hand one the shifter!

agree.gif

A Sporto with MFI driven properly is a thing of pure joy. Properly tuned it's quicker than an equal S in some situations. For sure, motoring media didn't help sell it, and many people still think it's an automatic (real-men-drive-manuals). Or believe it's prone to failure... which it's not. Most techs hated them because they can be fiddly to set up but it's really not that complicated. Though nowadays, some parts ARE getting hard to source. sad.gif

We really love ours. After the T passed 200,000 miles we did a bare tub resto. We've had it 8 years now, a great car driven regularly. Give it the boot and enjoy: the torque converter effectively doubles available grunt when it spools up. The S is due for resto after a couple of other projects are done.

Anyway, they didn't build many but this 914-6 has languished too long because of "prototype status" price, not the Sportomatic.
It'd be getting the attention it deserves if the seller would consider $15K less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.