Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Darin300
Hello,

I had a question, but thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.
I've been stalking the site for a few weeks, gathering all information possible.
I purchased a 75 model about month ago from 914 owner who I'm sure is active on this site also. It needs work but pretty solid car, missing parts here and there, but nothing compared to some of the projects I've seen. Needs paint (was orange), needs heater components, some engine tin is missing, also needs some fuel injection components, which I set aside for now until I pull motor and collect everything.I found quite a few parts already, right now I would just like to drive it! I always wanted one since a friend in High School owned one, I've never driven a 914 before so would like to just get it running while I collect parts for a more comprehensive overhaul.
My question is this.. I need to repair trunk hinge mounts that broke off, I have all the details on repair but which repair kit should I use? I know there's aftermarket with ball joint that bolts in and reproduction factory mounts that I found. Which would be better? Upgrade to newer hinge, or put old style back on there? Don't want to do this job again, guess most of you have been down this road before.
Also there's two holes in front of rear shock upper mounting point that take some kind of plug, anyone know where I can find these, or what the official name is for them? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
Thank in advance for all the help, I've attached a few photo's for you guys.
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! Welcome to the madness. I had a real good welder that was able to fix my hinge without a kit. Auto Atlanta has those real hard to find parts.
welcome.png
Tom_T
agree.gif

AA, Pelican & Restoration Design (3 member vendors/advertisers on here), Eklers/Automotion/PP, & maybe GPR (on here), etc. on-line have those kits.

IMHO stick with the factory repro one, but have them double weld or tuck the weld inder the inner side of the hinge "feet" & it should last longer. It all depends on how often you open/close that rear trunck, since the stock torsion springs/rollers exert a fair amount of force, but is a fairly efficient design not requiring shocks to get in the way of the top when in the trunk & closed up, & shocks need replacing too.

Being up in Tehachapi, you may want to check out the CAI California Inland Region of PCA too, as they have a good group of folks, probably more 914 owner/members than any other SoCal Region (or at least who show up to CAI events with their 914s). PCA dues s $46/yr & you get both the national Panorama & Region's nice magazines, plus 20% discount at Porsche dealers, & many events, drives & fun stuff, etc.

welcome.png
Darin300
Thank you for the tip. I was going to sign up for club actually, meet some other
owners, good way to increase my knowledge, and make some friends. Really having fun with this car, it's different! I worked for G.M 21 years, I don't want to see another Corvette/Camaro LS1/LT1. I'm enjoying different.. Thanks again
rwilner
Jwest sells a trunk hinge kit. If you're not planning to concours your car, you might want to consider upgrading the factory shortcomings with better engineered solutions like James'. Do yourself a favor and buy his short shifter too!

http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/pivot.htm
rwilner
QUOTE(Darin300 @ Jan 3 2013, 04:26 PM) *

Also there's two holes in front of rear shock upper mounting point that take some kind of plug, anyone know where I can find these, or what the official name is for them? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

I think you're referring to the targa latch cups. When you put the targa top in the rear trunk, the targa latches that clip to the front windshield frame rest in these cups.

Post a WTB on this forum, I'm sure someone has a pair lying around.
Darin300
Yes that's it. Cups are missing, Thanks I'll post a WTB, because I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Thank you for the tips on rear hatch, was going to upgrade but didn't want to buy hinges that I'd have to replace again.
GeorgeRud
I'd also recommend simply replacing the factory hinge setup, but use the gas strut kits that are now available. It takes the strain off of the hinge, and holds the rear trunk lid in the open position very nicely. You do have to trim a bit of the sheet metal at the edge of the trunk/engine partition, but it's not a big deal to make the modification.

Just be careful when removing the torsion bars as they do have a kick to them!
JawjaPorsche
I got my targa top cups from Ebay. They show up from time to time. Just keep checking or put a WTB in our classifies. I got rid of my torsion bars too. I use a broken golf club driver shaft to keep it up when I need to keep the trunk open.
bembry
Nice looking 914--I like the bigger bumpers too.

I'm from Bakersfield--right down the highway from you! (but live in RI now)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.