Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alcantera
My conversion ran into a little snag today. I could not install my rebuilt calipers with the backing plates installed . When i removed the backing plates the calipers would bolt on ,but when i tightened the bolts the caliper rubs the rotor . im wondering if the wrong calipers came back from the rebuilder, do i need to shim out the rotor??? . Strange I thought this would be a ten minute job . Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jimkelly
are you talking about the dust shields??

if so, you may need different dust shields.
John
What combination of parts do you have there?

On 911 struts, the brake stone guard bolts directly to the spindle with (3) 8mm hex head cap screws.

There is no spacer between a 911 caliper and a 911 strut.

The rotor should be centered up in the caliper if all the correct parts were used. Are those 911 Carrera rotors with 911 SC calipers? That combination probably wont work as the Carrera rotors were thicker than the 911SC parts and the 911 Carrera calipers were spaced wider than the 911SC to account for the additional rotor thickness.

I have not run into this problem.

One other thing I see in your picture, but it may just be a funny angle, your bearing grease cap looks strange. Not quite the right shape. Are you sure that they are the right parts for the hubs?

Just my $0.02

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
I put my front shields on backwards.And had same result.

Then I figured it out! wub.gif

Seriously though I don't see shields in your pics. And I agree caps are not what I have seen.

alcantera
Thanks for the prompt reply.,I can clearly see a difference in the hubs My porsche expert buddy is coming over tomorrow and he will know what's out of place
Jeff Hail
You didnt by chance replace bearings and seals did you? There is a spacer ring and o-ring that goes behind the inner bearing on 911 stuff. If its not in there the rotor and hub will be to far in. The grease cap kind of hints at that issue.
alcantera
i think my problem is I have early hubs not sc hubs ,the caps and hubs are differant
Eric_Shea
7mm spacers between the caliper1/2s = 20mm rotor. 11mm spacers = 24mm thick rotor. Looks like you have 20mm rotors.

That said, I think John and Jeff are on to something. The shields go on either side. Make sure you have them on properly. And, many struts have those seal seats that Jeff circled removed so make sure yours are there.
Eric_Shea
Hubs "shouldn't" be a big deal. Those all accept 20 and 24mm rotors and the caliper backs spacing is the same on 3" mounts as it is on 3.5" mnts... 15mm.

If you have "very" early hubs, that may be the cause (solid rotor hubs). What's the part number? Should be 901.341.xxx.xx
alcantera
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 3 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Hubs "shouldn't" be a big deal. Those all accept 20 and 24mm rotors and the caliper backs spacing is the same on 3" mounts as it is on 3.5" mnts... 15mm.

If you have "very" early hubs, that may be the cause (solid rotor hubs). What's the part number? Should be 901.341.xxx.xx

Went over to Whaletail and picked up some Sc. hubs, They look very similar but have a different part number and different dust cap and cap mount. I think the dustshied. Will work as the cut out for caliber is larger. Took this picture for you guys. All not lost I need early hubs for 1972 Targa at body shop. Click to view attachment
alcantera
Everything fits perfectly, Thanks again guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.