Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carolina Club Race Recap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Sometimes the fickle finger of fate rears its head at inoppurtune moments. My friend and I drove down to CMP this past weekend for the club race. A 14 hour drive from NY, actually not a bad drive.

The test and tune was uneventful, the race practice was "eventful" The turbo picked a timed session to hand grenade...Something let go and the hot side impeller gave up some vanes (all of them LOL)

So we are 700 mile from home without a spare turbo., My friends partner is the Racers Group crew chief, another Racers Group mechanic was nearby...he has a shop in Atlanta (Bob Sanderson,Performance Imports) He had a turbo on the shelf thast looked like the one we needed, a hybrid Garret. So we have the turbo saturday delivered via Fed-Ex

We recieved the turbo right at the beginning of qualifying. The hot housing of the replacement turbo was small flanged, our turbo was large flanged, and the cold side was much smaller than the existing turbo. So we disassembled both turbos, and cobbled together one turbo that worked.

We finished buttoning up the car twenty minutes before the sprint race....

Having missed qualifying, my friend got to start dead last smile.gif

35 minutes after the green flag dropped, the checker dropped. We finished 3rd overall, 2nd in class smilie_pokal.gif

My friend Bill was on a mission, he passed 23 car in 35 minutes... and was closing on a 2004 cup car when the checkered flag dropped.!!!

CMP is a great track, and we met some really great people. Coming from dead last to 3rd overall, and having a podium was pretty cool also!!!
TimT
Who wanted pics of Gulf colored cars?
TimT
nuther
TimT
MOtec manegment/Slide Valve TB's
TimT
burp
TimT
nuther MOtec car
TimT
Driver taking a leak ohmy.gif
TimT
nicely finished car
TimT
more
TimT
get your finger out of the picture LOL nice all original car
TimT
OUCH!!!

a customer got punted at the start... this is a 930 trailing arm MUCHO STRONG

after our race, we took the trailing arm from my friends car, and installed it on our customers car.. about 4 hours start to finish biggrin.gif
Mueller
nice pictures and congrats on the hard work paying off !!!!!

that blue 914 has Ronal 3 piece wheels...I have not seen those in ages, I used to have a set of those rims on my Mustang 5.0, nice and light smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Tim,
I have a 930 trailing arm with a screwed up wheel bearing bore. The stub axle doesn't tighten up properly now. Do you know someone with experience repairing something like this?
Brad Roberts
Great shots Tim. Looks like the 914's are alive and well on the East coast.

Congrats on the start/finish clap56.gif

We broke a rocker arm on the 3.8 RSREVO car at Thunderhill on Friday during the first practice. Pulled data from the car and 6 hours previous to this event the owner had spun the engine to 9100RPM and didnt tell us (he attended two events without our help) The engine was last built by Porsche Motorsports... so we opted not to take a chance with possibly damaging more parts later if it broke another rocker... we packed it up. Sucked because the car was running 2 seconds behind the fastest car there and would have qualified us number two on grid for the sprint race. To make matter worse... we watched the number one qualifier during the sprint race get a flat and limp into the pits for a tire change dropping him to 7th overall (he came back to finish 3rd overall 2nd in class) Made us puke. We where 3 seconds faster than the car that won Super Production (SCCA racing) Amazing watching a RSREVO air cooled 400hp car smackdown 03/04 Cup cars....LOL

B
TimT
Amazing watching a RSREVO air cooled 400hp car smackdown 03/04 Cup cars....LOL

hehehe

Our car is based on a '79 930 primitive suspension etc.. Bill was about 5 seconds behind the 2004 cupcar when the flag fell...if the race was 10 minutes longer LOL... we had a great time at CMP

Chris is the bearing loose in the bore? I don know anyone that repairs these control arms, but I bet a good repair would be open it up on a mill and press a sleeve in.

heck we need one left side 930 arm, which means we will have a spare right side arm..(try buying one arm LOL) which side do you need? lets make a deal??
URY914
This reminds me of a question I've always had:

How would a 935 from say 1981-82 (twin turbo, 750hp) stack up against a modern Cup car on the same track???
Anyone know?

A few tracks haven changed since then but if I was to do some research I could find out.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Basically that is what was beating us.

1969 tub with JWE Motec/750+HP TT with a sequential 6 speed box running ignition interupt for upshifts. It is bodied as a 996 GT3RS.

I may also have a control arm for the 930.

B
TimT
How would a 935 from say 1981-82 (twin turbo, 750hp) stack up against a modern Cup car on the same track???

I know first hand

the cupcars handle!!!! our car is in the 700+ hp range (i cannot divulge exact numbers) but our car is a handful to drive

cupcars have modern suspension, big brakes, some have ABS...

WE kicked some cupcar butt this past weekend...actually we beat the drivers... A good driver in a a 03 cup car should give a schooling to a 935

The cupcars are amazing... and easy to drive ( I have driven a few) a 935 is a beast, point and shoot..... then hold on.. Ive driven my friends car 700+ hp

Driver skills count for alot. We passed l I think 12 cupcars at the CMP race.....

I recommend these drivers get out of there modern marvels and get into a car that you connect with!! no ABS no PSM... learn car control!!

oops did I rant LOL
ChrisFoley
[quote=TimT,Nov 9 2004, 08:31 PM] [QUOTE]Chris is the bearing loose in the bore? I don know anyone that repairs these control arms, but I bet a good repair would be open it up on a mill and press a sleeve in.

heck we need one left side 930 arm, which means we will have a spare right side arm..(try buying one arm LOL) which side do you need? lets make a deal?? [/quote]
This is on a customer car that I've been storing for a couple of years until he has the funds to finish the project (SCCA GT2).
IIRC it is the left trailing arm. As near as I can remember the bearing goes deeper than it is supposed to, therefore the axle has some (about 1/16") end play after it's torqued. I could remove some material from the axle, but I don't want to create an oddball setup.
I'm a little reluctant to try welding it up and re-machining on my own.
Opening up the hole and making a steel insert is probably the way to go.
URY914
Tim, thats sorta what I thought.
Handling vs horsepower.

Paul
Brett W
That Gulf 914 is not legal for SCCA. The cage is illegal.

Looks like you are parked in the same spot we were for the last HSR race. Watched the 95 Bennetton Formula 1 car break the track record by several seconds. That was cool as hell.

If you are racing in SCCA GT I would heave the stock rear suspension and put in a dual a-arm rear and solve the issues with the semi trailing arm suspension. Yes I know about the weight penalty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.