Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body/Frame adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I had a Engman stiffening kit installed, but he cars door gaps pulled in about an 1/8". Is there a metod to pull them back in line. I'm asking you guys expertize before I start looking for a body shop. Thanks Mike
brant
not a good one.
its a warp...

cuting the metal and allowing it to flex back is about the extent of the solution

maybe a frame machine run expertly can pull it?

scotty b
blink.gif
Steve
I have the same exact problem with mine. There was a thread a while back about a guy that cut the stiffener on both sides and put jack stands in the middle of the longs to get the front to come down. He then used a hydraulic jack to push the car apart. He then took all of the measurements and welded the stiffening kit back up. It's on my list of things to do. On mine I can barely get the top back on after adjusting it. I also put a washer under the lower driver door hinge to push the door back up so it closes better. However the door seals are "fuch'd" up and don't align right.
TravisNeff
That'd be me, here's how I got it straight

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=175069&hl=
ruby914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 4 2013, 08:40 AM) *

blink.gif

Come on Scotty, have you seen what tscrihfield can do for door gaps? biggrin.gif
scotty b
huh.gif 914 dump truck ? idea.gif
xperu
QUOTE(xperu @ Jan 4 2013, 10:29 AM) *

I had a Engman stiffening kit installed, but he cars door gaps pulled in about an 1/8". Is there a metod to pull them back in line. I'm asking you guys expertize before I start looking for a body shop. Thanks Mike

xperu
[/quote]

Some pics of my door gap, I know it isn't easy to see, but you can see the difference between the bottom to the top of the door gap. Mike
xperu
[quote name='xperu' date='Jan 5 2013, 02:38 PM' post='1797009']
[quote name='xperu' post='1796116' date='Jan 4 2013, 10:29 AM']
[/quote]
More Pics
xperu
QUOTE(xperu @ Jan 4 2013, 10:29 AM) *

ruby914
From your photos I can't see the gap problem.
I Know your not the first, this is not new. There must be more than one guy out there that had this problem.
First thing that comes to my mind is turn buckles, Hilti bolts and jacks.... heat? Maybe McMark, Series9, rick 918-S or Sean may have some ideas?
76-914
yep, that pic isn't very revealing but I'm watching with interest as I'll be doing this in a week or so. popcorn[1].gif
Cracker
The rocker/longs are fairly thin metal and it doesn't take much to shrink the gaps (usually the high side/top of the door) together.

Installation tip when welding a 914 (roll bars, longs, etc.): Support the car on jack stands so that both the front and rear are "hanging". There is allot of flex in the uni-body and by doing this will get you much closer to the original gaps when finished. This is espically important when welding in base plates for a roll bar on the interior rocker panels - these pull/shrink far more than you could ever imagine!

Best wishes getting it un-done!
xperu
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 6 2013, 09:28 AM) *

yep, that pic isn't very revealing but I'm watching with interest as I'll be doing this in a week or so. popcorn[1].gif

Sorry, but I had trouble uploading, lets see if this works. Sorry about the bike in the way. but you can see the gap difference between the top and bottom. I may just have to adjst the door latch and/or install a washer on the hinge like suggested.
charliew
Hi Mike you sold me a door a few years ago. You actually delivered it halfway to my son who was down that way.

Does the top still fit good?

Before you change anything jack the car up under the front door jamb on both sides at the same time and see what the gap does. This will tell you if any sagging is going on to make the gap close in the weighted state. My 75 914 moves some when I do this. The doors move out and up a little above the door handle.

I think you might be able to spread it apart with a small hydraulic jack. Maybe put some wood in the jams to protect them and spread the load out and make a bar to go between the jack and the bar and the jams. Use some cardboard and blankets or old carpet to protect the threshold in case it all falls a few times. Also maybe support the car only in the middle under the longs up enough to get the weight off of the wheels. That might make the spread easier. You know the threshold is actually curved up at the ends but I don't see a way to change that easily. I think I would measure it before you start and keep track of the progress.

Good luck and keep us posted.
xperu
QUOTE(charliew @ Jan 8 2013, 06:28 PM) *

Hi Mike you sold me a door a few years ago. You actually delivered it halfway to my son who was down that way.

Does the top still fit good?

Before you change anything jack the car up under the front door jamb on both sides at the same time and see what the gap does. This will tell you if any sagging is going on to make the gap close in the weighted state. My 75 914 moves some when I do this. The doors move out and up a little above the door handle.

I think you might be able to spread it apart with a small hydraulic jack. Maybe put some wood in the jams to protect them and spread the load out and make a bar to go between the jack and the bar and the jams. Use some cardboard and blankets or old carpet to protect the threshold in case it all falls a few times. Also maybe support the car only in the middle under the longs up enough to get the weight off of the wheels. That might make the spread easier. You know the threshold is actually curved up at the ends but I don't see a way to change that easily. I think I would measure it before you start and keep track of the progress.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I remember taking that trip to deliver that door; I had a hell of a time getting it to fit in the car. I hope you put the door to good use. I had stored the car, but someone stripped it. Nice 76 with a very good body. Thanks for the advice; I think I might take you up on your idea. for now I will just drive it through the winter, as you know south Texas is to hot and to humid in the summer to spend a lot of time in the 914. Thanks for taking the time to help me. Sorry I took so long to get back to you all, I work at NASA and it has been hectic with the new crew module coming on line. It seems I have little time to drive this car let alone work on it, but I love my car and love driving it. Mike P.S. If any of you guys work at JSC or in the Houston area, drop me a line. I have some 914 things I would like to part with in my attic.
rick 918-S
If you have some skills do what Travis did and you should be ok. Use these dimensions on this link and take your time.

http://www.914world.com/specs/914info.php
xperu
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 25 2013, 08:42 PM) *

If you have some skills do what Travis did and you should be ok. Use these dimensions on this link and take your time.

http://www.914world.com/specs/914info.php

This is great! Thank you very much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.