Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuse panel - relay question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
my fuse panel had 4 relays in it and one square box thingy.

one of the four relays was metal and had several painted prongs on it.

Q- i assume this one is not interchangeable with the other 3?

Q- but that the other 3 are interchangeable with each other?

Q- what will happen if i put the metal one in the wrong relay place?

the metal relay is at top right in pic.

i'm asking cause i jst put an engman panel in my car - see post #248.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2240&hl=jim kelly's&st=200
Tom
Left to right:
Buzzer, Aux headlights ( Fog lights?), fresh air fan, headlight dimmer relay.
This is from the Haynes manual, page 128.
Depending on previous owners and what they did also.
I put a J-west fuse panel in mine and may have mixed them up as to where the relay is on the board, however, I did label each relay as to it's function. Getting the relay sockets back in the holes in the new panel was a PITA. Old hard brittle rubber nubs. Actually cut one off and drilled thru the socket and used a small bolt and nut to secure the socket to the panel.
Tom
jimkelly
tom thanks.

seems haynes manual does not explain the round metal relay on the other side of the fuse panel?

Tom
Jim,
I noticed that also and haven't investigated why. I guess I am just lazy! sad.gif
If you find out the answer, please post.
I guess the easiest way is to pull the relay and see what no longer works, don't know why I don't do that. Oh yea, I'm too lazy! And mine is on jack stands with the batt disconnected. And I'm too lazy! dry.gif
Tom
Dave_Darling
You can also look at the wire colors that connect to the relay. Then match those up to the wiring diagram.

One of the things on top of the fuse panel should be the flasher relay. It's the thing that clicks when the parking brake is on.

--DD
jimkelly
tom and dave - many thanks

so it seems that on my car - i don't need any of the round relays on the fuse panel - as my car has been BARE BONED

no fog lights
no seat belt buzzer
no fans

thanks again!
Dave_Darling
The "fresh air blower relay" actually supplies switched power to a lot of systems on the car. You do need that one.

--DD
jimkelly
dave - thanks again! - you have been a long time GREAT resource to many here on the board aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.