Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short Shift kits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
What's everyone's take on short shift kits, pro and con? blink.gif
toolguy
I get better results by cutting off 3 inches of the top of the shaft. .
jimkelly
most will say that the 914 trans, even when in perfect condition, can not be shifted fast enought o warrant the short shifter.

and since many 914 trans are in need of some neglected maintenance, a short shifter will exacerbate any shifting issues.

driving.gif
VaccaRabite
Rennshift.
It is very much the way to go.

Zach
Dr Evil
A rebuilt box and a short shift is a beautiful thing. I had this setup before I got the rennshifter. The short shifter is great, but not with bad bushings or a worn out tranz. No specialty shifter is good with those things.
GeorgeRud
agree.gif

Any clearances from the meshing gears all the way to the shift knob are additive, and all contribute to "slop" in the shifter mechanism. Rebushing and tightening these clearances is the way to help.

The short shifter kits are nice if everything else is correct (as is the Rennshifter), but the effort is increased. Best to drive a car with one to decide if you like the feel.
carr914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 4 2013, 03:51 PM) *

A rebuilt box and a short shift is a beautiful thing. I had this setup before I got the rennshifter. The short shifter is great, but not with bad bushings or a worn out tranz. No specialty shifter is good with those things.

agree.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 4 2013, 03:46 PM) *

Rennshift.
It is very much the way to go.

Zach

A RennShifter is Great, but you also need the correct Linkage. JWest quit making the linkage kits cuz nobody was buying them. I bought all he had left, sold them & kept one for the future
Cracker
A "must-make" upgrade IMO. I've installed a Welty and the only change I would have made is...done it sooner.

Shameless plug: I happen to have a brand new Welty still in the package for $75 shipped (73-76)!!! rolleyes.gif

I haven't put it out for sale yet but will soon (or did I just do it now)!
jsayre914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2013, 04:09 PM) *

A RennShifter is Great, but you also need the correct Linkage. JWest quit making the linkage kits cuz nobody was buying them. I bought all he had left, sold them & kept one for the future

Dosn't Chris Foley make a linkage for the rennshifter ?
stugray
I just rebuilt my entire tail-shift shifter mechanism, installed the short shift kit, have two sets of tailshift bushings, balls, etc....

Then I bought a side-shift tranny (luckily I have all of the side-shift parts including motor mount).

So if anyone needs a complete tailshift linkage with short shift & all new (NOS- NOT AA! ) bushings, .........

Stu
slothness
You can build a JWest linkage.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=186850&hl=

I have the welty kit too, used it for a few years but went back to the stock after I rebuilt the trans for the V8. The stock just went into gear, the welty didnt. It might be because I rebuilt my linkage though.

Honestly the Rennshift is an amazing piece of kit if you can afford it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.