Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight relay alternative at local FLAPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hi guys,
I installed new lights and a Jwest fuse kit and now my highs are stuck on. The lights worked fine switching high to low prior to the fuse box swap, but I believe it is wired correctly. To start troubleshooting though, I want to swap out relays first before going back into tearing it all apart. Does anyone know of a relay that is available at most auto parts stores/FLAPS that won't break the bank. I know they are available from Pelican, but being in Florida, I'd rather get one locally tonight if possible. I know I can try to find a SAAB one from the junkyard tomorrow, but curious if there is something I can get at a store first. Would one from a later Beetle work? I think NAPA has those.

Thanks!
-George
Cap'n Krusty
Your car probably came with the 4 pin relay, and those are NLA. The 5 pin relay requires a jumper wire to function. Check the relay, look for the missing jumper wire. Any VW of that era will use the same relay. Newer ones don't use a relay.

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 4 2013, 05:39 PM) *

Your car probably came with the 4 pin relay, and those are NLA. The 5 pin relay requires a jumper wire to function. Check the relay, look for the missing jumper wire. Any VW of that era will use the same relay. Newer ones don't use a relay.

The Cap'n

Yup, I knew about the 5 pin deal and how to jump it. Just didn't know if there were any KNOWN parts numbers that most places have in stock. Might just have to wait till next week I guess.
914Sixer
Can you hear the headlight/turn signal switch CLICK when you pull back on the arm? Do you see any voltage drop when you attempt to go from high to low?
Mike Bellis
You can also use one of these... $5 on ebay. It needs a power jumper too but these are electronic and do not rely on a mechanical cam like the stock relay does...

This one comes from a Saab but the same relay is common on many European cars.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Doh! I should have elaborated I guess. Yes, I can indeed hear a click from the relay when I pull on the stalk, but I only switch between "high" and the fogs (also because I have the Jwest fog light flash kit). Again, leaving me to believe its the relay. Not sure about voltage - I know I see 12 V at both the white and yellow wires at the lights currently. When the lights shut off (with them disabled in the "up" position") I can visibly see the "low" beam on for a quick moment after the high beam turns off.

I did also know about the SAAB relays from my forum searches here in the garage, and I think I'm going to order one on Ebay rather than scrounge through the junkyard. Was just hoping to find a cheap alternative from a FLAPS so I could troubleshoot it this weekend. The SAAB relay new at Autozone is well over $100!! Looks like I'll have to wait till I get one off the internet. wink.gif
Mike Bellis
The stock relay is electro/mechanical. A cam inside "flip flops" every time you pull the trigger. Most likely is is worn and jammed. there is no way to fix these types of relays, no spare parts... sad.gif
rhodyguy
what's the # on the relay george?

k
Mike Bellis
Found this on a web search. From the Samba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462571
ThePaintedMan
Hey Kevin,
Its the the standard Bosch 111-941-583-M84. I also have the 4 pole original version, but I'm pretty sure both are bad. I've opened both up before and got them working better, but they've always been problematic. I went to the junkyard with Mike's advice to find the SAAB unit, but there were no SAABs (guess that says something about their cars). I ended up just ordering one off of Ebay in hopes that I don't have to deal with this crap again.

Bonus though, I did find some mirrors off of an Olds 88 which I believe are the same as http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...85273&st=20 (Post #26). Now to get creative and see if I can mount them without repainting the doors! Thanks fellas!
rhodyguy
no M84, just an A. 4 pins. what is the application dif for the 4 vs 5 pin?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 5 2013, 06:20 PM) *

They are the same, AFAIK. Pelican lists the M84, which I guess is the 5 pin, but you have to jump the "31" to the hot "56" and it works the same. That is, if the relay itself is good.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 5 2013, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 5 2013, 06:20 PM) *

They are the same, AFAIK. Pelican lists the M84, which I guess is the 5 pin, but you have to jump the "31" to the hot "56" and it works the same. That is, if the relay itself is good.

I'd be less than eager to jump a hot wire to a ground terminal, but that's just me ....................

The Cap'n
sixnotfour
here is some understanding
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/relay.swf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.